>> CIA & u <<

General discussion about MMORPGs, Neocron, SXR, or anything else you feel like blabbing about.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Official SynergyXR Forums! You will have to register to post and if you're new here, please read our Welcome Post and Forum Rules.
NoNo
750+ Posts
Neocron Characters: Telemachus
NoNo
Numinor
Darla
Internet Connection: 30mb

>> CIA & u <<

Post by NoNo »

only really applies to those living in europe

From reading the paper, and news, the Irish minister for justice has recently signed a eu wide treaty with the United States, which now gives certain rights to the CIA. This bill will allow the CIA to view any of ur personal records, bank statements etc. It also allows them to come over here and interrogate you.

On the interrogation issue there are some points I heard on the radio.

- you may not have the right to have a lawyer present
- if you choose to say nothing during the interrogation, they can use that in it-self as evidence.

and more disturbingly, and if true a serious blow to human rights, is if the cia deem you to be what they call "an enemy to the state" then under the Bush Administrations new laws, you are not 100% protected by the geneva convention as they have the right to torture you....perhaps one of u americans can try and see if thats true :P

Disturbing eh?
Comie
500+ Posts
Neocron Characters: Comie Hol
Hutch
EVE Online Character: Comie Dey
WoW Armory: Deychundei, Chomie
WoW Server: frostmane

Post by Comie »

gimme a link to it please

and

HAHAHAHA im sooo glad that england isnt a part of the EU (i cross my fingers that im still right about this)

another reason to stay out!

losers!
NoNo
750+ Posts
NoNo
Numinor
Darla

Post by NoNo »

i got most of it from a radio conversation with the author of the paper article, but heres the original, which i havent read so there might be some discrepancies

http://www.irishexaminer.com/pport/web/ ... IStPSk.asp
Lachlan
2000+ Posts
Steam ID: lachlan
Twitch.tv Profile: lachlanzema
Xbox GamerTag: lynx769
EVE Online Character: Lachlan Alanthos

Post by Lachlan »

Zhut wrote:Somehow, this doesn't surprise me. I will decline to comment further.
I was trying to let this slide without comment, but I'm sorry that I can't. I realize that my political views on this board are in the minority, so I'll just put on my flame-proof suit now.

The newspaper article NoNo linked to and the information in his post seems be a bit reactionary.

The little bit of information I've found on this agreement doesn't make it sound anything like NoNo is trying to make it sound. The agreement sounds like any other extradition agreement in that it prevents criminals from fleeing US prosecution by hiding in another country. Does anyone remember Ira Einhorn, who fled to France after murdering his girlfriend in 1977 and wasn't brought back to the US to be prosecuted for the crime for more than 20 years?

In this article, it states that the US can request the records mentioned, be present at interrogations, and ask questions. It doesn't say anything about not having the right to a lawyer or giving up the right to not incriminate yourself (both of which are basic rights afforded US citizens under the Bill of Rights).

My guess is that any leeway given to US investigators will be with the approval of the Irish government, anything less would be giving up sovereignty to the US goverment. I can't see that happening.
“Negotiations were conducted on the understanding that there should be full protection of fundamental rights and respect for constitutional principles,â€
Zhut
750+ Posts

Post by Zhut »

I should have referenced the article before posting. My apologies.
Myrlin
500+ Posts
Minecraft Username: Myrlin
Aion: Myrthas
WoW Armory: Myrthas
WoW Server: Dawnbringer
Operating System: Windows 7
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz
Memory (RAM): 2Gb DDR2
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS
Hard Drive: WD 80GB
Hard Drive (Secondary): WD 250 GB
Monitor: Dell 1905FP (Digital)
Keyboard: Wolfclaw II
Mouse: Microsoft Intellimouse Pro
Internet Connection: FIOS 10 down / 2 up

Post by Myrlin »

I'm confused why don't I see Zhut's comment that got quoted later?
Zhut
750+ Posts

Post by Zhut »

I deleted it
Lachlan
2000+ Posts
Steam ID: lachlan
Twitch.tv Profile: lachlanzema
Xbox GamerTag: lynx769
EVE Online Character: Lachlan Alanthos

Post by Lachlan »

I think I can see where the confusion and overreaction comes from..

Several times in the articles written, the author has thrown out references to the Guantanamo Bay detainees which the Supreme Court has said can be held without a lawyer if they are classified as 'enemy combatants'. I don't agree with the US governments ability to do that and I think it's wrong.

However, throwing out those references while talking about this US-EU agreement has given people the impression that this agreement gives the US the authority to throw Irish citizens in Guantanamo Bay without a lawyer and let's them be tortured until they confess.

Reading carefully, I don't think the agreement allows that at all. Someone tell me if I'm wrong.
NoNo
750+ Posts
NoNo
Numinor
Darla

Post by NoNo »

I wasnt saying that at all lol.

I was simply relaying what I heard in da paper :P

to be honest the cia shouldn't have any ability to do anything over ere, no offence to any1 who even gets the slightest hint of such, but the american government are gung-ho, they like to do everything on their own, its a rare occasion that I see them sharing information....eg if they want some1 searched they can make a request to the goverment to do so, but to give a foreign power, and I mean any power, id be saying the same things if it were another country, the right to interrogate foreign citizens, is just ridiculous.
NoNo
750+ Posts
NoNo
Numinor
Darla

Post by NoNo »

http://www.irishexaminer.com/pport/web/ ... IStPSk.asp

http://www.irishexaminer.com/pport/web/ ... s5FWAE.asp

really is unbelieveable

irish examiner is a respected Irish Newspaper aswell, not a tabloid, or an entity that would make this up.
a4nic8er
1500+ Posts
Xfire ID: a4nic8er
Neocron Characters: A-Four
Afk
Afornicater
BlackWilly
Lag
Oh Noes
Taxi
Utu
Fallen Earth Characters: Lara Craft (55 - Pistols/Tradeskiller)
Lag (55- Melee/Mutant)
Packet Loss (55 - Rifle)
Adol Fittler (31 - Mule)
Global Agenda Character: Afore_AdolFittler
Operating System: Win10 Pro 64
CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K
CPU Heatsink/Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON
Memory (RAM): CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4
Video Card: GV-N2070AORUS X-8GC
Hard Drive: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB SATA3 SSD
Hard Drive (Secondary): Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA3 SSD
Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HUA
Secondary Monitor: BenQ XL2411T
Keyboard: Logitech G13
Mouse: LOGITECH G502 Proteus Core
Case: Cooler Master COSMOS S
Power Supply: Silverstone OP1000-E 1000W
Rig Accessory: D-Link DNS-343 NAS
Internet Connection: aDSL 10/1Mbps

Post by a4nic8er »

If they want you, they will just snatch you.

If you aren't an American, none of the USA's constitutional rights apply. If you are an American, they are trying to override those rights with Laws such as the Homeland Security Bill and Patriot Act.

There are already UK and Australian citizens who have been held incommunicado at Quantanimo Bay for years. What have their govenments done about it? Nothing.
Live every day, As if it may be your last, For one day will be.

If laughter can be contagious, why do we never hear of any mirth pandemics?
NoNo
750+ Posts
NoNo
Numinor
Darla

Post by NoNo »

us are too powerful, no1 will do anything that will damage their relationship with the us....god forbid.....
DAGGERZ
1500+ Posts
Xbox GamerTag: PecKer73
Neocron Characters: Go on guess...
WoW Server: Dawnbringer

Post by DAGGERZ »

erm thats wrong
maggie thatcher did when she fucked the argies out of the falklands the us asked her to back down and she told them where to go hence the falklands is still british. as for guantanamo bay there should be of more of them put every suspect in there IMO i have had enough of the eastern europeans trying to dictate the western way of life .

infact im really gonna inflate the post.
do i agree with iraq .damn straight i do fair play to bush for having the balls to do what no other ldr would finish what his dad could'nt.
the SAS had saddam the first time but snr bottled it.
The room went that way ->>>>
SEAL7
250+ Posts
Xfire ID: 5eal7
Operating System: Win XP Pro SP2
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 5600+
Motherboard: ASUS M2N-SLI
Memory (RAM): 4gig Kingston DDR2-667
Video Card: 2 Nvidia 8600 GT (256meg ea)
Hard Drive: WD 40gig
Hard Drive (Secondary): Maxtor 80gig/ 3rd drive: Maxtor 250gig
Monitor: Acer AL2002W LCD
Mouse: LogiTech TrackMan wheel
Internet Connection: Cable

Post by SEAL7 »

ahmen
NoNo
750+ Posts
NoNo
Numinor
Darla

Post by NoNo »

ok ill respond to this.......

the war in iraq may have been right ethically, but it was NOT justifiable. Every single reason that was given for invading Iraq has proved wrong, and has just fuled the hatred that the muslim world has for the us. As for Bush having balls for invading iraq, it was all about the oil simple as.

And daggerz, I couldn't disagree with you more. The fact that the "civilized" world doesn't condone torture, and denial of basic rights (whether human rights or rights under law) is what set's us apart from the terrorists. When the people of the world who are claiming to be justfied and honorable cross this line, then they become no better then the terrorists whom they are fighting.