Old PC

General discussion about MMORPGs, Neocron, SXR, or anything else you feel like blabbing about.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Official SynergyXR Forums! You will have to register to post and if you're new here, please read our Welcome Post and Forum Rules.
derretimos
1000+ Posts
Steam ID: derrelol
PlayStation Network ID: bane008
Neocron Characters: Faid
CPU: Intel I3
CPU Heatsink/Cooler: import.java.*
Motherboard: im drunk

Old PC

Post by derretimos »

So hopefully I will be receiving my new computer in the mail within the next few weeks, and since I already have two computers and don't want 3, what should I do with the old one? I don't really feel like keeping it in a closet forever, but I also don't want to throw it away and have someone gain access to various resumes and documents. Is there anyway to erase everything without reformatting? I can't reformat because I don't have the Windows disc. It doesn't matter if the computer is never usable again as I've copied everything important to another HDD.

Any hints/tips/tricks/suggestions are welcome.
Pantho
3000+ Posts
Steam ID: sam86
WoW Server: Me+Fanyasy = Chosen
Operating System: Windows XP x86
CPU: Core2Duo 26400 2.8ghz
Motherboard: Intel DG395RY
Memory (RAM): 4GB 4x1GB Crucial XMS2 800mhz
Video Card: 8800GTS 640mb
Hard Drive: 300gb Sata2
Monitor: 19" Hanns-G
Secondary Monitor: 19" DMG
Keyboard: Logitech S510
Mouse: Logitech MX Revolution
Case: Some obsenly heavy thing - Cooler Master
Power Supply: 650W Modular Corsair
Internet Connection: 10MB Cable

Re: Old PC

Post by Pantho »

derretimos wrote:So hopefully I will be receiving my new computer in the mail within the next few weeks, and since I already have two computers and don't want 3, what should I do with the old one? I don't really feel like keeping it in a closet forever, but I also don't want to throw it away and have someone gain access to various resumes and documents. Is there anyway to erase everything without reformatting? I can't reformat because I don't have the Windows disc. It doesn't matter if the computer is never usable again as I've copied everything important to another HDD.

Media PC

Buy a shuttle case for £20-30 (if mobo fits) and put it next to your PC.

It's the best Media Centre you will ever find...

The shuttle case is only for looks, can use a normal case etc.
Myrlin
500+ Posts
Minecraft Username: Myrlin
Aion: Myrthas
WoW Armory: Myrthas
WoW Server: Dawnbringer
Operating System: Windows 7
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz
Memory (RAM): 2Gb DDR2
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS
Hard Drive: WD 80GB
Hard Drive (Secondary): WD 250 GB
Monitor: Dell 1905FP (Digital)
Keyboard: Wolfclaw II
Mouse: Microsoft Intellimouse Pro
Internet Connection: FIOS 10 down / 2 up

Post by Myrlin »

Pantho wrote:
derretimos wrote:So hopefully I will be receiving my new computer in the mail within the next few weeks, and since I already have two computers and don't want 3, what should I do with the old one? I don't really feel like keeping it in a closet forever, but I also don't want to throw it away and have someone gain access to various resumes and documents. Is there anyway to erase everything without reformatting? I can't reformat because I don't have the Windows disc. It doesn't matter if the computer is never usable again as I've copied everything important to another HDD.

Media PC

Pantho I'm assuming you have a media pc based on your comment. What media center software do you use?
Pantho
3000+ Posts

Post by Pantho »

Myrlin wrote:
Pantho wrote:

Media PC

Pantho I'm assuming you have a media pc based on your comment. What media center software do you use?
No, I don't sadly. I used to use an Xbox(1) flashed with XMBC , which is essentially a media PC. I can comment on XMBC being an outstanding bit of software. But, there are much better ones that work for BBC/HULU/Youtube and other streaming sources (country dependant).
. I only just got rid of it because the CPU on it couldn't play 720/1080 files.
Using Xbox360 now with no modifications to the console, but a program on my PC to dynamical encode video files to play on the xbox avi/rmcb/mkv everything works great.

I would recommend Windows 7. Simple, easy and lots of software to turn it into a HDD tv recorder, pause live TV etc. all the usual crap. Great think about media PC's are they seem to fly through content. Any old Core2Duo CPU can play 1080 files perfectly. And they can be customised to work with most sound systems for loose change, and they play everything. Simply every format you can find...

Makes tv/film files so much easier to play, if you download those.
Faid
3000+ Posts
Steam ID: talonfaid
Neocron Characters: Faid
CPU: i7 3770k 3.5GHz
Memory (RAM): 1GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Me
Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 960 2GB

Post by Faid »

Remove the HD and take a sweet hammering to it, much like I do with your mom :mrgreen:
Pantho
3000+ Posts

Post by Pantho »

:o <-- Faids mums face is frozen into this position after the SXR crew christmas party...
Vaeyn
750+ Posts

Post by Vaeyn »

What Pantho said (mostly), or install a lighter Linux Distro on it (I really like Peppermint One or Ice for this purpose) and turn it into a guest box so when people visit and stay the night, they have a net comp.

Myrlin (or anyone really), you could (should) also consider just installing Mythbuntu on the machine. imho, it is a more affordable and potentially just as good approach to a PVR. I am in the middle of switching my XP PVR (and DVD all around video recording an playing machine) to an Ubuntu install that will be pretty much a Mythbuntu box when I am done with it. Do a bit of research / homework, but this can be a great way to go.

Also, if you want to just wipe it, get a program that can write zeros to the drive and do a full wipe of everything. There are several out there where you just burn the iso, reboot to the CD, and then wipe away. You might even be able to sell it on Craigslist or something cheap.
Pantho
3000+ Posts

Post by Pantho »

Vaeyn wrote:What Pantho said (mostly), or install a lighter Linux Distro on it (I really like Peppermint One or Ice for this purpose) and turn it into a guest box so when people visit and stay the night, they have a net comp.

Myrlin (or anyone really), you could (should) also consider just installing Mythbuntu on the machine. imho, it is a more affordable and potentially just as good approach to a PVR. I am in the middle of switching my XP PVR (and DVD all around video recording an playing machine) to an Ubuntu install that will be pretty much a Mythbuntu box when I am done with it. Do a bit of research / homework, but this can be a great way to go.

Also, if you want to just wipe it, get a program that can write zeros to the drive and do a full wipe of everything. There are several out there where you just burn the iso, reboot to the CD, and then wipe away. You might even be able to sell it on Craigslist or something cheap.

While linux is cheaper, having friends with MSDN VLK's is also free and although not legal, passes microsoft checks :).

Widnows 7 VLK = FTW! My whole family and good friends run off this key :hippie: lol.
satransisuu
1000+ Posts
WoW Server: Nathrezim

Post by satransisuu »

A good place to take your computer is a local recycling center. I would take the hard drive out and plug it into my new machine and wipe it with any free program that does a DOD standard wipe. They are free if you look around. Also if you want the barbaric brute version if you take the disks out of the hard drive and shatter them it would be nearly impossible for anyone to put them back together.

Source: My degree in Information Forensics
FN: hey sat, what did you tell your parents when you left?
Me: i told them i was going out to study
FN: ......................
Myrlin
500+ Posts
Minecraft Username: Myrlin
Aion: Myrthas
WoW Armory: Myrthas
WoW Server: Dawnbringer
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz
Memory (RAM): 2Gb DDR2
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS
Hard Drive: WD 80GB
Hard Drive (Secondary): WD 250 GB
Monitor: Dell 1905FP (Digital)
Keyboard: Wolfclaw II
Mouse: Microsoft Intellimouse Pro
Internet Connection: FIOS 10 down / 2 up

Post by Myrlin »

Sorry for taking this off topic.

First, on topic, if you're running WinVista or Win7 Enterprise or Ultimate, enable BitLocker on the drive and toss it in the trash. It's as good as wiping the drive.

Second, off topic, thanks for the suggestions guys. I've got a Dell GX260 running as my media pc right now. I've tried Win7 Media Center and XBMC. My friend showed me MythBuntu so i might try that next.
satransisuu
1000+ Posts
WoW Server: Nathrezim

Post by satransisuu »

I do not trust closed source encryption methods for the most part. It may be a bit quicker to just enable that but there is no way to show that the bitlocker encryption by microsoft does not have a build in back door. I would just wipe the info or break the platters....or for more fun melt with thermite! :pyro:

edit: yea i may sound paranoid a bit with my data but i know how to break into computers and get info so i do not take chances with my data ^_^
FN: hey sat, what did you tell your parents when you left?
Me: i told them i was going out to study
FN: ......................
FN
3000+ Posts
Steam ID: fnsxr
Twitch.tv Profile: SynfullTV
Neocron Characters: FN
EVE Online Character: Xenivous Synfull
Operating System: Windows 8 Professional 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge @ 3.5Ghz
CPU Heatsink/Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Intel Z77
Memory (RAM): Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 30nm
Video Card: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 660 2GB
Hard Drive: 256GB RAID 0 (2 x Samsung 830 SATA3 SSD)
Hard Drive (Secondary): 1TB RAID 0 (2 x WD 7200RPM SATA2 HDD)
Monitor: RCA 40" LCD TV
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa
Mouse: Microsoft/Razer Habu Laser Mouse
Case: NZXT M59 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply: BFG 550 Watt Dual +12V Rail
Rig Accessory: Wolf King Warrior FPS Keyboard (Red)
Internet Connection: 35Mbs/3Mbs Cable

Post by FN »

My latest "wtf do I do with an old PC" endeavor has been running Chromium on an old box in order to make a Hulu Plus/Web Browsing PC I can tuck behind my entertainment center. If it works out well I might actually invest in a cheap micro ATX w/HDMI.