Hybrid HDD (Seagate attempt 2)

General discussion about MMORPGs, Neocron, SXR, or anything else you feel like blabbing about.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Official SynergyXR Forums! You will have to register to post and if you're new here, please read our Welcome Post and Forum Rules.
Pantho
3000+ Posts
Steam ID: sam86
WoW Server: Me+Fanyasy = Chosen
Operating System: Windows XP x86
CPU: Core2Duo 26400 2.8ghz
Motherboard: Intel DG395RY
Memory (RAM): 4GB 4x1GB Crucial XMS2 800mhz
Video Card: 8800GTS 640mb
Hard Drive: 300gb Sata2
Monitor: 19" Hanns-G
Secondary Monitor: 19" DMG
Keyboard: Logitech S510
Mouse: Logitech MX Revolution
Case: Some obsenly heavy thing - Cooler Master
Power Supply: 650W Modular Corsair
Internet Connection: 10MB Cable

Hybrid HDD (Seagate attempt 2)

Post by Pantho »

These:

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?page=1&lim ... ubcat=3324

All the reviews seems to point to this drive being simply awesome. I was looking to an SSD for my server as we are bottlenecking on HDD usage at the moment. However I was advised about these and the details sound great, presuming it can load the 2-3mb log files into the 4gb ssd for dynamic writing etc.

Anyone using/heard of these yet? I just bought the 500gb one, going to throw it in my new PC and test it out before buying 2 for my server.
FN
3000+ Posts
Steam ID: fnsxr
Twitch.tv Profile: SynfullTV
Neocron Characters: FN
EVE Online Character: Xenivous Synfull
Operating System: Windows 8 Professional 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge @ 3.5Ghz
CPU Heatsink/Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Intel Z77
Memory (RAM): Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 30nm
Video Card: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 660 2GB
Hard Drive: 256GB RAID 0 (2 x Samsung 830 SATA3 SSD)
Hard Drive (Secondary): 1TB RAID 0 (2 x WD 7200RPM SATA2 HDD)
Monitor: RCA 40" LCD TV
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa
Mouse: Microsoft/Razer Habu Laser Mouse
Case: NZXT M59 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply: BFG 550 Watt Dual +12V Rail
Rig Accessory: Wolf King Warrior FPS Keyboard (Red)
Internet Connection: 35Mbs/3Mbs Cable

Re: Hybrid HDD (Seagate attempt 2)

Post by FN »

Interesting. Lemme know how it works out for you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822148591

Only $120 for 500 GB - I'd be willing to trade in my current 7200 RPM 500 GB drive if there's a performance boost...

The catch-22 seems to be that it's biggest area of success is with little files, so in the realm of gaming, when you're accessing large data sets (compiled file systems), it probably won't do much for them - unless the game just uses tons of little files, which doesn't seem to be as common anymore.
Pantho
3000+ Posts
Steam ID: sam86
WoW Server: Me+Fanyasy = Chosen
Operating System: Windows XP x86
CPU: Core2Duo 26400 2.8ghz
Motherboard: Intel DG395RY
Memory (RAM): 4GB 4x1GB Crucial XMS2 800mhz
Video Card: 8800GTS 640mb
Hard Drive: 300gb Sata2
Monitor: 19" Hanns-G
Secondary Monitor: 19" DMG
Keyboard: Logitech S510
Mouse: Logitech MX Revolution
Case: Some obsenly heavy thing - Cooler Master
Power Supply: 650W Modular Corsair
Internet Connection: 10MB Cable

Re: Hybrid HDD (Seagate attempt 2)

Post by Pantho »

FN wrote:Interesting. Lemme know how it works out for you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822148591

Only $120 for 500 GB - I'd be willing to trade in my current 7200 RPM 500 GB drive if there's a performance boost...

The catch-22 seems to be that it's biggest area of success is with little files, so in the realm of gaming, when you're accessing large data sets (compiled file systems), it probably won't do much for them - unless the game just uses tons of little files, which doesn't seem to be as common anymore.

This is true however for the price I hope it's worth using one of these just to speed up general computer use. The studied I found showed:

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/produc ... laptop-hdd This, but I'm not sure how good this review is as it seems to be testing pure naked use not speedup of favourite prorgams. Got to 7:24 for end results.

The main reason I've bought one is that I don't want to setup RAID for a home PC. I don't want to mess around with a small SSD and I'm not paying the insane prices for a 250GB SSD, specially as flash memory just went up in price and all SSD's are soon to follow. Presuming nothing goes wrong I can see Seagate getting some serious market leads with these drives.

I did have a review that a game server host had posted but I can't find it now. He said it increased server restarts, load times and less lag when recording large log files of SRCDS servers by around 25%. While a SSD normally increases it by 60%. But, over $1200 for a 500gb ssd puts this drive at 1/10th the cost. I shall let you know once it's been delivered :)