Fable 3

General discussion about MMORPGs, Neocron, SXR, or anything else you feel like blabbing about.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Official SynergyXR Forums! You will have to register to post and if you're new here, please read our Welcome Post and Forum Rules.
Solid Rock
3000+ Posts
Xfire ID: solid5rock
Steam ID: Taurmin
Xbox GamerTag: Taurmin
PlayStation Network ID: Taurmin
Neocron Characters: Solid Rock
Taurmin
Global Agenda Character: Taurmin
EVE Online Character: Solid Rock
Minecraft Username: Taurmin
WoW Armory: Thorgul
WoW Server: Bladefist
Operating System: Windows 7 Home
CPU: Intel Core I7 960 3.2 Mhz
Motherboard: Asus Sabretooth X58
Memory (RAM): 2x 2GB Kingston DDR3
Video Card: Club GeForce GTX 650 1gb GDDR5
Monitor: Acer X193W 19" 16x10
Secondary Monitor: ITS TS-7005L 17" 4x3
Keyboard: Logitech G15 Series 2
Mouse: Cyborg R.A.T. 9
Internet Connection: 50mb/5mb

Fable 3

Post by Solid Rock »

So, am I the only one here who went and got Fable 3 for pc this weekend?

I could use some help with some of the various multiplayer weapon unlocks as-well as the mistpeak deamon door witch requires a co-op partner. My GFWL friends list is rather short though and trying to get random people to cooperate with you is not really feasible.

So anyone else got the game? My Live ID is Thorgauth
Zalaz
250+ Posts
Steam ID: Zalaz86
PlayStation Network ID: Zalaz86
EVE Online Character: Nunquam
Operating System: Windows 7
Internet Connection: Cable

Re: Fable 3

Post by Zalaz »

If they ever release Fable: The Lost Chapters and Fable 2 on Steam, I will definitely check out Fable 3. However, until that time comes, I can't see myself playing it.
Solid Rock
3000+ Posts
Taurmin

Post by Solid Rock »

Zalaz wrote:If they ever release Fable: The Lost Chapters and Fable 2 on Steam, I will definitely check out Fable 3. However, until that time comes, I can't see myself playing it.
Fable 2 is never gunna be ported by the looks of it, Lost Chapters should still be available somewhere though. Can always torrent it if nothing else.
Pantho
3000+ Posts
Steam ID: sam86
WoW Server: Me+Fanyasy = Chosen
Operating System: Windows XP x86
CPU: Core2Duo 26400 2.8ghz
Motherboard: Intel DG395RY
Memory (RAM): 4GB 4x1GB Crucial XMS2 800mhz
Video Card: 8800GTS 640mb
Hard Drive: 300gb Sata2
Monitor: 19" Hanns-G
Secondary Monitor: 19" DMG
Keyboard: Logitech S510
Mouse: Logitech MX Revolution
Case: Some obsenly heavy thing - Cooler Master
Power Supply: 650W Modular Corsair
Internet Connection: 10MB Cable

Post by Pantho »

Solid Rock wrote:
Zalaz wrote:If they ever release Fable: The Lost Chapters and Fable 2 on Steam, I will definitely check out Fable 3. However, until that time comes, I can't see myself playing it.
Fable 2 is never gunna be ported by the looks of it, Lost Chapters should still be available somewhere though. Can always torrent it if nothing else.
I think he meant on Steam, not on the PC.

I do love Steam releases. Steam sucked once upon a time, in CS1.6 times. However, the great thing about Steam releases is they just work :). Take Red Alert for example, try getting that fucker to work on Windows Vista/Win7. However on Steam it works instantly :).
Zalaz
250+ Posts
Steam ID: Zalaz86
PlayStation Network ID: Zalaz86
EVE Online Character: Nunquam
Operating System: Windows 7
Internet Connection: Cable

Post by Zalaz »

Pantho wrote: I do love Steam releases. Steam sucked once upon a time, in CS1.6 times. However, the great thing about Steam releases is they just work :). Take Red Alert for example, try getting that fucker to work on Windows Vista/Win7. However on Steam it works instantly :).
Very true, I don't think I've had a title not work on there. It's driven me to the point where if it's not on Steam, I won't even consider it. I thoroughly enjoyed The Lost Chapters back when I had a copy on DVD-rom. It was really polished up compared to the console version, even if it was considered a port (was it?). I hope the same goes for Fable 2. If it's a port, I would just hope that it doesn't feel like one when I'm playing. Magic: The Gathering is a really good example. That game was a console port, but you could hardly tell. I think the things that really gave it away were the lack of an in game chat box and the controller vibration option in the settings.
Solid Rock
3000+ Posts
Taurmin

Post by Solid Rock »

Pantho wrote:Take Red Alert for example, try getting that fucker to work on Windows Vista/Win7. However on Steam it works instantly :).
Actually think in that particular example it is only because the version up on steam is the anniversary edition released by EA a few years ago. They patched all of the old games to make them compatible with newer versions of windows.

Fable 2 getting ported is a lost cause by the looks of it, Lionhead doesn't seem willing to even consider it especially now that both versions of fable 3 are out the door.

As far as fable 3's quality as a port goes, its not nearly as well done as TLC was but that is hardly a fair comparison considering TLC had about 10 hours extra gameplay tacked onto it.
The menu interfaces bear heavy signs of having been designed for consoles, the various button indicators having merely been relabelled to correspond to keyboard keys. Hardly surprising for a Microsoft release however as thy lately shown an obsessive need to make every game compatible with their Xbox controllers for pc. You wont see many menu screens however since the game relies on the 3d environment of the sanctuary for inventory management as well as saving and the various online features.

Character control's have been completely retooled around a mouse and keyboard, the various weapon attacks are all controlled by the mouse and a very intuitive. Most non combat interactions that required the use of the Xbox keypad has been replaced by the number keys, which works pretty well.

The game however is somewhat poorly optimized for PC and unless youve recently upgraded your hardware you should not expect to run it with maxed out settings, it is however seemingly possibly to run the game in much higher fidelity than the Xbox version and even on medium settings the game looks great.

Most of the online features of the Xbox version remain, with the exception of split screen co-op, the interface for this is a bit cumbersome but the same could be said for the Xbox version. The only major drawback of the game, and I admit it is a rather big one, is the usage of Games For Windows Live. This system manages all DLC content as-well as achievements and online matchmaking. In the case of Fable 3 it also clashes rather heavily with steam's ingame dashboard if you try to open it and I have taken to running the game without steam.

In short: The game is very successfully ported, with the only major drawback being Microsoft's involvement.
Pantho
3000+ Posts
Steam ID: sam86
WoW Server: Me+Fanyasy = Chosen
Operating System: Windows XP x86
CPU: Core2Duo 26400 2.8ghz
Motherboard: Intel DG395RY
Memory (RAM): 4GB 4x1GB Crucial XMS2 800mhz
Video Card: 8800GTS 640mb
Hard Drive: 300gb Sata2
Monitor: 19" Hanns-G
Secondary Monitor: 19" DMG
Keyboard: Logitech S510
Mouse: Logitech MX Revolution
Case: Some obsenly heavy thing - Cooler Master
Power Supply: 650W Modular Corsair
Internet Connection: 10MB Cable

Post by Pantho »

Solid Rock wrote:
Pantho wrote:Take Red Alert for example, try getting that fucker to work on Windows Vista/Win7. However on Steam it works instantly :).
Actually think in that particular example it is only because the version up on steam is the anniversary edition released by EA a few years ago. They patched all of the old games to make them compatible with newer versions of windows.

Fable 2 getting ported is a lost cause by the looks of it, Lionhead doesn't seem willing to even consider it especially now that both versions of fable 3 are out the door.

As far as fable 3's quality as a port goes, its not nearly as well done as TLC was but that is hardly a fair comparison considering TLC had about 10 hours extra gameplay tacked onto it.
The menu interfaces bear heavy signs of having been designed for consoles, the various button indicators having merely been relabelled to correspond to keyboard keys. Hardly surprising for a Microsoft release however as thy lately shown an obsessive need to make every game compatible with their Xbox controllers for pc. You wont see many menu screens however since the game relies on the 3d environment of the sanctuary for inventory management as well as saving and the various online features.

Character control's have been completely retooled around a mouse and keyboard, the various weapon attacks are all controlled by the mouse and a very intuitive. Most non combat interactions that required the use of the Xbox keypad has been replaced by the number keys, which works pretty well.

The game however is somewhat poorly optimized for PC and unless youve recently upgraded your hardware you should not expect to run it with maxed out settings, it is however seemingly possibly to run the game in much higher fidelity than the Xbox version and even on medium settings the game looks great.

Most of the online features of the Xbox version remain, with the exception of split screen co-op, the interface for this is a bit cumbersome but the same could be said for the Xbox version. The only major drawback of the game, and I admit it is a rather big one, is the usage of Games For Windows Live. This system manages all DLC content as-well as achievements and online matchmaking. In the case of Fable 3 it also clashes rather heavily with steam's ingame dashboard if you try to open it and I have taken to running the game without steam.

In short: The game is very successfully ported, with the only major drawback being Microsoft's involvement.

Red Alert was a special version afaik, not the anniversary one.
Alamais
1000+ Posts
Steam ID: sxr_alamais
Twitch.tv Profile: garamis85
Xbox GamerTag: SXRAlamais

Post by Alamais »

Solid, my friend from work has it on PC. I'll talk to him and see if you can help each other out. I'll send you a PM.
Secks Faid
Solid Rock
3000+ Posts
Taurmin

Post by Solid Rock »

Girlfriend came home from town today, after having gone to pick up some more ink for the printer, with a 360 under her arm as well as fable 2 and 3... So might just scratch the whole pc coop thing and get the multi-player stuff with her on splitscreen.