Guild Wars 2

General discussion about MMORPGs, Neocron, SXR, or anything else you feel like blabbing about.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Official SynergyXR Forums! You will have to register to post and if you're new here, please read our Welcome Post and Forum Rules.
raykor
500+ Posts
Operating System: Windows 7 Pro x64
CPU: Core 2 Duo E8600 OC @ 3.9 GHz
Motherboard: Asus P5Q Deluxe
Memory (RAM): 8 GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800
Video Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 460 1GB
Hard Drive: 2 x Seagate 7200.11 500GB (Raid 1)
Monitor: Dell 2408WFP
Keyboard: Logitech G15
Mouse: Logitech G5
Case: Cooler Master Cosmos S
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W

Re: Guild Wars 2

Post by raykor »

It seems that they are forcing people to pick low and medium population servers. Eternal Grove is at high and locked.
braydagner
500+ Posts

Post by braydagner »

Holy crap, it was Low when I joined it.
suckstbh
MoonlitStalker
250+ Posts
Steam ID: 76561198022971163
Global Agenda Character: MoonlitStalker
Minecraft Username: GryphonStalker
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 7750 Dual-Core Processor
Motherboard: GIGABYTE AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX
Memory (RAM): OCZ Platinum 4GB
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1GB
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 500GB
Monitor: ACER X223W
Secondary Monitor: HP Pavilion vf15
Keyboard: Stock Keyboard
Mouse: V220 Cordless Optical Mouse (Blossoms)
Case: RAIDMAX SAGITTA 2 ATX-928WU Black/Silver
Power Supply: Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU 500W

Post by MoonlitStalker »

I found Eternal Grove high but I was able to create a character, I don't have much time to play tonight but I'm running around as Roan RageStorm.
World of Warcraft | MoonlitStorm
Night Elf|Feral|Cenarion Circle ~retired~

Final Fantasy XI | GryphonStalker
Galka|Monk|Bastok|Midgardsormr ~retired~

"When a Griffin Comes to Visit" By Marilyn Scott Waters
braydagner
500+ Posts

Post by braydagner »

SOMEONE MAKE A GW2 CHANNEL ON TS OKTHXBAI
Coo
250+ Posts
Steam ID: mcouillard
Nintendo Wii ID: 455506771961
Fallen Earth Characters: Cxoo (5 - Rifle/Support)
()
()
()
Global Agenda Character: Cjoo
Minecraft Username: Cjoo
Operating System: Win7 64bit
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 550
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3
Memory (RAM): 6gb DDR3
Video Card: EVGA nVidia GT 240 DDR5
Hard Drive: WD Caviar Black 640mb
Monitor: Dell 17" LCD
Keyboard: IBM black standard
Mouse: GE 5-button optical
Power Supply: 430w Antec Earthwatts
Internet Connection: FIOS 30/10mb

Post by Coo »

So I'm very curious to hear how those in this last beta enjoyed it!
braydagner
500+ Posts

Post by braydagner »

It was wicked fun. I love what they did with your skills. However, I hate that you have to 'discover' new crafting recipes by trial and error. Suck.

Skills: Your skills are based on; your class, your weapon. I will use my Ranger as an example. With a hatchet in my main hand, I have a certain 3 skills (1,2,3). In my off hand, I can have either another hatchet, a dagger, or a horn. Based on which I choose is what skills I get, 2 of them (4,5). Next is a heal. Everyone has to have a self heal (6). Then come Utility slots. These are class based, so my Ranger can pick traps, spirits, or (ofc) glyphs. These skills are unlockable and you have to buy them with skill points. You get three slots (7,8,9). If you played the original, you remember elites. This is the last skill. Not sure how to unlock, I assume it works like the regular ones taking skill points (0). Last are your F1, F2, F3 keys. As a Ranger with a pet, these were pet skills. It varies per class, like Elementalists can change between fire, water, air, and earth at the click of a button.

Your main story-line is based on every attribute you choose from the start which seems to make leveling with friends a little hard unless you all choose the same thing, but with so many story-lines its hard to get bored with the plot.
The way you get secondary quests are... just walk into the area. No having to worry 'shit, did I get the quest?' If you are in range, you have it, and the reward is mailed to you.
There are also world events that take place every XX minutes and act the same as the secondary quests.

Unfortunately, I leveled slower than my main story-line progressed so it felt a little too grindy compared to the first one.

The graphics are really nice, and there are not many sync points.

All in all, I give it 8.5/10
MoonlitStalker
250+ Posts

Post by MoonlitStalker »

First Impressions!

So I ended up playing a Charr Warrior to level 20 focusing solely on PvE and my Personal Story.

The first couple of hours felt confusing and hectic to me. I was subconsciously still fighting a decades worth of ingrained MMO behavior despite embracing wholeheartedly the ideas behind the mechanics of GW2.. but after a few hours, everything just "clicked".

Combat
Felt a little awkward at first, A / D were set to turn you right or left while Q / E was a strife, double tap to dodge. Once I switched those around I found combat much more fluid and dodging is a lot of fun!

Class: Warrior
I have to admit I usually hate the warrior class in other games, it comes across bland and boring to me but here each weapon plays so differently. You get a more jack-of-all-trades feel, which I find much more appealing. It's also great to feel so self sufficient without those healer dependencies. I ended up unlocking Sword, Shield, Axe, War-horn, Longbow and Great Axe.

Environment, Art, Details
There are a lot great details and ambiance around. In the cities (which are HUGE) you can catch snippets of conversations or whispers of hushed conversation, and just with the NPC's it feels more alive then most other MMO's.

Personal Story
I am Blood Legion, My sire was a honorless gladium and I was closest to Dinky.
I found the story engaging and I quickly pounded through all that was available, if only we weren't capped at level 20 (for story)!

The first introduction area needs a little more clear tutorial-ing but overall there is certainly some tweaking and polishing that needs to get done (it's still beta after all), but underneath that is certainly a game I could play for years.
Last edited by MoonlitStalker on Tue May 01, 2012 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

raykor
500+ Posts

Post by raykor »

I played only one class, an elementalist and got to level 5 in the starter PvE zone and then to level 22 in world versus world PvP. I didn’t play any of the instanced PvP and I left my personal story at level 3.

The only reason I even got to level 5 in PvE is because you have to unlock your skills by using a weapon in combat. You have to kill 20 mobs per skill unlock and I had 16 skills to unlock (320 kills) and that’s for only one weapon! I’m not much into PvE, but it was decent fun in that you didn’t have to go and get any quests—you simply walked around and events happened and you participated as little or as much as you wanted and always got rewards. You could walk by another person who bit off a little more than they could chew and lend a hand There is no mob “tagging” or kill stealing; everyone gets experience and loot based on what you do. Four people can loot a single mob if they all attacked it.

I also want to add that this is the most challenging PvE I have seen in any game for a long time. You can die very easily. You have to pay attention, use all your skills, and dodge major attacks. I went back to the starter zone at the end of beta as a level 22 and it scaled me down to level 4 so even gathering crafting materials for a new trade skill will be challenging.

The world is gorgeous and the game is very polished but there is room for improvement in several areas—nothing game-breaking. They also had some technical problems with over a dozen disconnects and several zone crashes. Crafting looked very interesting although involved and I can’t see myself getting involved in it until almost at end game. I was running around with pretty crappy gear most of the time which I am sure crafting would have solved (since the equivalent of the best gear can be crafted) but I couldn’t tear myself away from the PvP to grind mobs for materials. I did get a fair number of drops in WvW but there were still some empty equipment slots and low level gear that I wish I could have upgraded. At level 20 you can buy some PvP gear with karma that you earn through combat so that helped. A dev already commented that they were looking to increase the drop rate of loot and coin in WvW.

The WvW was an absolute blast with minimal lag despite there being nearly a hundred people fighting at a single keep. There were also dozens of smaller clashes and some great open-field encounters. The chat system was broken so everyone (including the enemy) could hear all your faction’s communication and even all the group conversations! It was a chaotic mess. This game is definitely going to benefit from large organized guilds controlling the flow of the battles.

I loved my elementalist but every class I saw in action had interesting skills that made me want to try it. It will be interesting to see how the classes balance out when they all get to 80 and unlock their elite skills. I will definitely be playing this until PS2 releases and with no sub fee for either game, I suspect I will probably hop between them as the mood strikes.

Edit: Youtube is inundated with videos from the weekend but here are a quick few from the same guy who played a Guradian (very well) with some keep and open field battles.

part one

part two

part three
Zalaz
250+ Posts
Steam ID: Zalaz86
PlayStation Network ID: Zalaz86
EVE Online Character: Nunquam
Operating System: Windows 7
Internet Connection: Cable

Post by Zalaz »

I only had Friday to try anything out, but man was it eventful. I picked the necromancer, skipped just about everything PvE related and ported over to the Eternal Battlegrounds with an old DAOC friend. We pretty much ran around with our heads cut off for the first hour, then the real shit happened... We ended up bumping into a small group of fellow green team members who were bashing on an enemy keep door so we decided to help out. It took us a few minutes of mindless button mashing to realize that we needed siege equipment to deal considerable damage to it. From that point, we grouped up together and roamed around capturing small supply camps, hoping to provoke enemy players to come to us. A full group of red team arrived seconds after we capped one of their spots and meant to flank us until someone yelled "NORTH". It turned into a ranged fight at first until a thief on our team got bold and shadowstepped into them, to which we ended up closing the distance right behind him. This ended up working well and we were able to push them back to a giant wall with an arch entry way we ended up using to bottleneck AoE spam them to death. The contribution feeling I had that entire fight was something I had never felt, not even in DAOC. From there I had to go to work, pissed as hell that I didn't schedule the entire weekend off.. the end.

EDIT: This video shows the exact keep we roamed around (and failed to bash into). Green World (Borderlands), the western 25% of the Eternal Battlgrounds. The wall arch we bottlenecked them is at 00:09 far off in the distance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gzVkjnn ... ure=relmfu

On a PvP level, this game is everything I could have hoped for. Someone at PC Gamer even mentioned some of the ex-Mythic DAOC employees working for Arenanet and contributing their own work to WvW, which clearly shows.
Fero Max
250+ Posts
Minecraft Username: FeroMax
Operating System: W7Ultimate
CPU: I7-4820k @ 4.75 GHz
CPU Heatsink/Cooler: H110 Waterblock
Motherboard: P9X79
Memory (RAM): 32GIGS
Video Card: GTX760
Hard Drive: Samsung SSD 840 PRO
Hard Drive (Secondary): Raid 0 (2x320Gb)
Monitor: 22" 2mc Samsung LCD T220
Keyboard: Logitech K310
Mouse: Logitech G300
Power Supply: Cors RM850
Internet Connection: VDSL 25/10

Post by Fero Max »

Watched some videos looks interesting.
I do regret skipping the beta thingy.
oh well :? ... got to read up on it more anyway.
Krypto
1500+ Posts
Xbox GamerTag: Sev3ndus7
Neocron Characters: KryptonitE
cdmlotyo
Crovax
Vitamin-X
Chaos Theory
Fallen Earth Characters: Sxr Krypto (Vehicle/weapons/armor tradeskiller)
Kryptoniite (Rifle/Mutations)
()
()
WoW Armory: Exposure
WoW Server: Firetree/Cenarius
Video Card: Geforce GTX570
Internet Connection: 40Mb

Post by Krypto »

Actually, now that I watched more vids from the beta weekend...I think I put 2 & 2 together:

Based on where the testing is now, they prolly started creating this game around 3-4 yrs ago, which is around 2008...which is around when Warhammer Online came out....and I started noticing ALOOOTA similarities. I had ALOT of fun playin warhammer online until the lag issue came to light. From the easy leveling, easy quests thanks to location clouds on the map, to multiple live event areas u can go to if you want for more xp & some decent loot, to the sheer playstyle & look of the game & chars. I thought the game was gunna become HUGE....& I'll bet so did Arenanet. Simply cuz of the major similarities of Warhammer Online, I'm gunna be gettin GW2.
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your Tears Fuel Me
raykor
500+ Posts

Post by raykor »

MoonlitStalker
250+ Posts

Post by MoonlitStalker »

Beta Weekend Event 2 will begin on Friday, June 8th, at noon PDT (GMT-7) and will run until Sunday, June 10th, at 11:59 p.m. PDT (GMT-7).
Anet Blog

Yay! :biggrin: