Guild Wars 2

General discussion about MMORPGs, Neocron, SXR, or anything else you feel like blabbing about.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Official SynergyXR Forums! You will have to register to post and if you're new here, please read our Welcome Post and Forum Rules.
raykor
500+ Posts
Operating System: Windows 7 Pro x64
CPU: Core 2 Duo E8600 OC @ 3.9 GHz
Motherboard: Asus P5Q Deluxe
Memory (RAM): 8 GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800
Video Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 460 1GB
Hard Drive: 2 x Seagate 7200.11 500GB (Raid 1)
Monitor: Dell 2408WFP
Keyboard: Logitech G15
Mouse: Logitech G5
Case: Cooler Master Cosmos S
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W

Guild Wars 2

Post by raykor »

I was a little surprised that a search didn't turn up a single thread on Guild Wars 2—given how incredible popular it is.

I never played the original and only started looking into it a few weeks ago when I stumbled across a world vs. world video. Sure, it’s fantasy themed and tab targeting (with a few twists) but the WvW system they have designed seems pretty interesting.

For the record…I highly prefer Sci-Fi themes and FPS combat but the determining factor for me is whether the game has a strong focus on large scale, faction-based, persistent world PvP. I absolutely hate lobby-based games with all the PvP in tiny 8 vs. 8 instances.

This video explains the WvW system in dry, excruciating detail. There are loads of WvW gameplay videos on YouTube.

I get the feeling this will be out several months or more sooner than PlanetSide, so...pre-purchased a few days ago.
Krypto
1500+ Posts
Xbox GamerTag: Sev3ndus7
Neocron Characters: KryptonitE
cdmlotyo
Crovax
Vitamin-X
Chaos Theory
Fallen Earth Characters: Sxr Krypto (Vehicle/weapons/armor tradeskiller)
Kryptoniite (Rifle/Mutations)
()
()
WoW Armory: Exposure
WoW Server: Firetree/Cenarius
Video Card: Geforce GTX570
Internet Connection: 40Mb

Re: Guild Wars 2

Post by Krypto »

I turned into a WoW clone tbh from the combat =/ didnt like the first video i saw
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your Tears Fuel Me
DaSaints
At least 1 Post
Neocron Characters: Da Saints
Operating System: Windows 7
CPU: i7-920 @ 3.5
Motherboard: Intel DX58SO
Memory (RAM): G.Skill 12GB
Video Card: nVidia 670 GTX
Hard Drive: Intel 120GB SSD | OCZ 60GB SSD
Hard Drive (Secondary): 2x2TB WD
Monitor: Samsung 27" 120Hz S27A750D
Secondary Monitor: Asus 24" IPS VS239
Keyboard: Logitech G110
Mouse: Logitech G500
Case: Antec 1100
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower 750W
Rig Accessory: Cooler Master Hyper 212 HSF
Internet Connection: 5MB/5MB

Post by DaSaints »

Despite its tabbed targetting mechanic the combat is very well designed due to the skill set choices you pick. I played the first one up to an expansion and combat is very fast paced with lots of skill countering involved (depending on which skills you picked).

In the end, it's very PvP focused so I ended up loosing interest after finishing all the PvE content and getting ROFLpwned in pickup PvP matches.
braydagner
500+ Posts

Post by braydagner »

GW was very team-based with decent planning necessary. WoW seem to let you use like all of your skills, GW you had to pick 8 which made planning around the rest of your team pretty crucial. The tab targeting sucks, but the team heavy fighting made up for it. Its not just spamming a couple skills, you had to pay attention to win, especially if you were a choking gas ranger (which I was, along with a toucher (lol@the name still)). I already bought GW2 and am really excited for it.
MoonlitStalker
250+ Posts
Steam ID: 76561198022971163
Global Agenda Character: MoonlitStalker
Minecraft Username: GryphonStalker
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 7750 Dual-Core Processor
Motherboard: GIGABYTE AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX
Memory (RAM): OCZ Platinum 4GB
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1GB
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 500GB
Monitor: ACER X223W
Secondary Monitor: HP Pavilion vf15
Keyboard: Stock Keyboard
Mouse: V220 Cordless Optical Mouse (Blossoms)
Case: RAIDMAX SAGITTA 2 ATX-928WU Black/Silver
Power Supply: Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU 500W

Post by MoonlitStalker »

I also pre-perchased, the first Beta Weekend Event for those who pre-perchased should be by the end of this month. So we can post our first impressions on the feel of the game after that (since there is no NDA on it). :3
World of Warcraft | MoonlitStorm
Night Elf|Feral|Cenarion Circle ~retired~

Final Fantasy XI | GryphonStalker
Galka|Monk|Bastok|Midgardsormr ~retired~

"When a Griffin Comes to Visit" By Marilyn Scott Waters
DaSaints
At least 1 Post
Neocron Characters: Da Saints
CPU: i7-920 @ 3.5
Motherboard: Intel DX58SO
Memory (RAM): G.Skill 12GB
Video Card: nVidia 670 GTX
Hard Drive: Intel 120GB SSD | OCZ 60GB SSD
Hard Drive (Secondary): 2x2TB WD
Monitor: Samsung 27" 120Hz S27A750D
Secondary Monitor: Asus 24" IPS VS239
Keyboard: Logitech G110
Mouse: Logitech G500
Case: Antec 1100
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower 750W
Rig Accessory: Cooler Master Hyper 212 HSF
Internet Connection: 5MB/5MB

Post by DaSaints »

Let me know how those Beta impressions go... It might sway me to buying it eventually.

It's definitely a more mental and team based game (probably why I lost interest in the first game - not many of my RL friends were playing it). Would be great to go into live with a like minded group and have a blast. :pyro:
raykor
500+ Posts

Post by raykor »

I’m actually getting pretty damn psyched over this game. The main reason is BY FAR the world versus world system they have planned. Way too much to get into—just watch the video I linked in my OP.

But there are quite a few other interesting features as well (at least to me).

Completely unlike GW1, the overwhelming majority of the game is a persistent world. There are 25 huge zones (including underwater cities and caves) as well as the world versus world area, which holds 1200 players. Only the dungeons and the ranked PvP matches are instanced.

No quest hubs; in fact, no traditional questing other than your personal story. The entire PvE game is designed around dynamic events.

Your character always scales down (but never up) to PvE content. This means that all the dungeons and zones in the game will remain challenging if you go slumming.

The gear you get from dungeons, crafting, and PvP is all equal. They differ only in appearance so you can gear up in the way you prefer.

Resource nodes are instanced per player—no more fighting over a resource node.

No raiding. The biggest dungeons are five man affairs and they will launch with eight of them.

No more need/greed rolling every single time a damn piece of loot drops. Loot distribution is automatic and just shows up in your inventory. This is a pet peeve that I am so glad to finally see implemented.

Combat is that little thing we do the majority of the time we play a game and there are quite a few things about the combat in GW2 that make it pretty darn interesting—and different from a traditional tab-targeting game like WoW.

The combat is fast paced: active dodging of attacks is crucial, activating skills doesn’t root you while an animation plays, and you can cast spells while moving. Your skills activate when you press them, simple as that. You won’t get an “out of range” message or a “no target is selected” message. If the enemy is out of range then the skill simply won’t hit them. If no target is selected then the skill fires in the direction you are facing and hits the first enemy it encounters. You can actually run in front of a skill before it hits a wounded ally and take the hit.

The fact that there are no dedicated tanks or healers is also huge. Everyone has a self-heal and everyone can rez. You have only 10 active skills at a time but you can switch weapon sets in combat and that changes your skills. Tons of build customization with five trait trees, attribute point distribution, elite skills, etc. While there isn’t a single friendly targeted skill, there are tons of skills that affect allies in various ways.

The bottom line is that I think the combat in this game is going to be very challenging and reward good teamplay.

Edit: typos
Last edited by raykor on Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zalaz
250+ Posts
Steam ID: Zalaz86
PlayStation Network ID: Zalaz86
EVE Online Character: Nunquam
Internet Connection: Cable

Post by Zalaz »

I'm not much of a lore guy, but I found the Guild Wars story to be much better than anything WoW threw at me. I'm very excited to see what happens 250 years later.
MoonlitStalker
250+ Posts
Steam ID: 76561198022971163
Global Agenda Character: MoonlitStalker
Minecraft Username: GryphonStalker
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 7750 Dual-Core Processor
Motherboard: GIGABYTE AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX
Memory (RAM): OCZ Platinum 4GB
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1GB
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 500GB
Monitor: ACER X223W
Secondary Monitor: HP Pavilion vf15
Keyboard: Stock Keyboard
Mouse: V220 Cordless Optical Mouse (Blossoms)
Case: RAIDMAX SAGITTA 2 ATX-928WU Black/Silver
Power Supply: Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU 500W

Post by MoonlitStalker »

Anet just posted this on there fackbook, so at least we have a timeline for that BWE.
Guild Wars 2
Good news!First Beta Weekend Event will be from April 27-29. We will let you know once the client is ready for download.

We'll have a blog post with details about what and when you can play later today or tomorrow. If you haven't already: pre-purchase to participate! https://buy.guildwars2.com/ ~RB2
World of Warcraft | MoonlitStorm
Night Elf|Feral|Cenarion Circle ~retired~

Final Fantasy XI | GryphonStalker
Galka|Monk|Bastok|Midgardsormr ~retired~

"When a Griffin Comes to Visit" By Marilyn Scott Waters
Vane
100+ Posts

Post by Vane »

wow raykor sounds like fun!

I never would've expected some of those things.
Zalaz
250+ Posts

Post by Zalaz »

1) Watch the first full minute of this video ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMTrsXsb0B4&hd=1

2) Take a gander at this map ---> http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/d/da/Noncb.jpg

3) Look for a white circular arrow icon at the very bottom of the map.

4) Count 2 green icons East of that arrow, that is where the video starts off.

5) The keep they siege at 00:45 is one more green icon to the East.

Hopefully this gives you an idea on how big this entire PvP playground is going to be. They're implementing something similar to Planetside hotspots to make sure this kind of chaos is going on 24/7.
Vane
100+ Posts

Post by Vane »

damn. This looks like a LOT of fun.

WTF FLAMETHROWER
raykor
500+ Posts

Post by raykor »

Great post on the combat in Gw2...

It's true that TERA is an "action" RPG because of the mouse-bound skills and crosshair aiming. However, in my opinion it still feels clunky. Your character still has to stop moving in order to use skills, and the mobility aspects of combat are skills unto themselves. For example, right now I have a skill that makes me jump backward bound to right-click. It's nice to have, but at the same time I wish that I didn't have to take up a skill slot with something that does nothing but make me move.

In GW2, combat mobility is more engrained. You can use almost every skill while moving, no stopping. So that makes it very fluid, and the enemies are tough enough that you definitely do want to keep moving around. There is also the dodge function built right into the WASD controls (double tap a direction to dodge roll in that direction.) And many skills incorporate movement in their functionality, rather than devoting a skill slot to something that only moves you. For example, Burning Speed on the elementalist that launch you forward and leaves a trail of fire behind. Or the ranger mainhand sword attack that reposition you around your enemy to avoid damage. There are lots of examples, since it's a very mobile game.

My levelling experience in TERA is rather uninteresting. It's a standard "kill 10 rats" grind, so far. Tons of running between NPCs who have question marks over their head, tons of skipping over quest dialogue, tons of faceroll grind. That's the early-game levelling experience.

By contrast, GW2 kicks you into the world and says "Here's your weapon, have fun!" The dynamic events are SO much more engaging. Even when, at the end of the day, killing enemies in a dynamic event is the same task as kill 10 rats questing...it's the context that matters. In a dynamic event, there is the aspect of a time crunch. You are presented with a win/fail scenario, and you know that the event will not still be there five minutes from now. So you choose to participate or not, and once you're in, you're engaged in the action. It's not like regular questing where you can play as I am at this moment...I'm supposed to be killing sick deer creatures, but I'm typing on a forum instead because I know those creatures will still be there an hour from now. They will jus respawn forever regardless of my actions. With a dynamic event, if you pass on the event, then you don't know exactly when it will happen again.
Zalaz
250+ Posts

Post by Zalaz »

Hope this helps a bit for tomorrow.
---> http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/112 ... eta-Server

193,000 people so far have installed the beta last I checked. I think the only other way to obtain beta invites for this weekend was to have attended PAX East, so I would assume almost all of those numbers are pre-purchases. I'd call that impressive for a game with no official release date yet.
braydagner
500+ Posts

Post by braydagner »

BETA STARTED!
I'm in Eternal Grove, where is everyone else?