Black screen on laptop, can anybody help

General discussion about MMORPGs, Neocron, SXR, or anything else you feel like blabbing about.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Official SynergyXR Forums! You will have to register to post and if you're new here, please read our Welcome Post and Forum Rules.
war-barney
750+ Posts
Neocron Characters: Warb Arney

Doctor Barney

Kalvix
League of Legends Character: Kalvix
Minecraft Username: war barney
WoW Server: Dawnbringer

Black screen on laptop, can anybody help

Post by war-barney »

Basically I just inherited a Acer aspire 5532 laptop from a friend thats been dropped from a windowcill which gave it a blue screen saying to reboot the hard-drive followed by a smack which made the screen go black (not to the screen though thats undamaged just to the keyboard so im guessing something got shook loose). It still turns on and the lights and fan work but the screen just stays black.

I tried posting on a pc help forum and they said to re-seat the hard drive and graphics card which I don't know how to do (or what it means really). Does anybody know how to do this or if its worth maybe taking to a pc repair shop, or is it most likely to dead to bother with. Its only from 2010 and this laptop is so old it wont even play minecraft or FTL so I could really do with a new one but I can't afford a brand new one so would be great if it was fixable.
derretimos
1000+ Posts
Steam ID: derrelol
PlayStation Network ID: bane008
Neocron Characters: Faid
CPU: Intel I3
CPU Heatsink/Cooler: import.java.*
Motherboard: im drunk

Re: Black screen on laptop, can anybody help

Post by derretimos »

take it apart and experiment, that's always fun to do. just make sure it's not plugged in and the battery is removed.
Vane
100+ Posts

Post by Vane »

PC repair for dummies --- Toss a windows disc in there to re-install the OS. Try to reformat the drive and install windows on a fresh partition. If you can't even get that far, then the hard drive is probably physically disconnected, internally. Laptops are finicky bitches to work on, but it can be done. I know that most laptops allow you to access the RAM from a plastic cover on the bottom, and possibly the DVD drive, but I am not so sure about hard drive. You may be stuck removing ALL the screws from the bottom of the laptop and 'splitting' the case. If you have to use a screwdriver to separate the halves of the laptop, check for missed screws. 99% of the time when something doesn't practically fall apart its due to a missed screw. this means opening every single cover on the bottom of the laptop. Take your time, its easy to overlook a fastener and it only takes one screw to fuck everything up, and you end up beating the shit out of the plastic-work trying to separate the halves that are being reluctant. Anyway, you ought to know what a disk drive looks like, and if the laptop is fuxxoring and unable to boot, it is probably the hard drive was unseated from where it ought to be. Remove it completely, and ensure that the ribbon is shiny, if its dull, use an abrasive to scuff the dull off. Re-install the hard drive and ensure that it is mounted solidly to the frame of the laptop. It is possible that such a hit that it received, it might have broken its mounting point, but plastic repair is usually a simple process. But considering the solid state of modern electronics, a hit like that probably didnt ruin anything. I mean, if the screen isnt fuxxored you're in luck. I hope someone that knows more than me will tell you the right thing to do :roll:
bio2tech
At least 1 Post
Xfire ID: bio2tech2
Steam ID: 76561198022014664
Fallen Earth Characters: Biotwotech (Newb)
()
()
()
Global Agenda Character: bio2tech
Internet Connection: 100/100

Post by bio2tech »

It sounds like a similar problem that a coworker had, he "dropped" his laptop against a wall and thought it was dead(for almost a year untill I looked at it). The computer was on when it hit the wall and that damaged the harddrive. The only thing I had to do was to exchange the harddrive and install windows. I bought him a SSD cause he didn't need the harddrive for storage and it's gonna survive another "dropp" against the wall.

This doesn't mean for sure that your laptop has the same problem, but it's a good chance it could be that.

Do u have any cd with windows on so u can boot with that?

The bad part is that u don't even get the booting up part on the screen(the white text that u see right before windows starts). Did I understand this correct, totally black screen all the time?

You could try to connect the laptop to a monitor with a VGA cable. When the monitor is connected and u are starting the computer, press the Fn + F5 buttons(this switches the display output to the external monitor). This is to test if u can get any information from the computer, like error messages and such things.

If u need/want to take apart the computer I found the service manual for your laptop. It has step by step instructions on how to take apart and put together the computer(look at if if u need to exchange the harddrive for example).
http://www.manualowl.com/m/Acer%20Compu ... ual/114408

Hope this helps you on the way to get your laptop up and running again!

/bio2tech
a4nic8er
1500+ Posts
Xfire ID: a4nic8er
Neocron Characters: A-Four
Afk
Afornicater
BlackWilly
Lag
Oh Noes
Taxi
Utu
Fallen Earth Characters: Lara Craft (55 - Pistols/Tradeskiller)
Lag (55- Melee/Mutant)
Packet Loss (55 - Rifle)
Adol Fittler (31 - Mule)
Global Agenda Character: Afore_AdolFittler
Operating System: Win10 Pro 64
CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K
CPU Heatsink/Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON
Memory (RAM): CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4
Video Card: GV-N2070AORUS X-8GC
Hard Drive: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB SATA3 SSD
Hard Drive (Secondary): Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA3 SSD
Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HUA
Secondary Monitor: BenQ XL2411T
Keyboard: Logitech G13
Mouse: LOGITECH G502 Proteus Core
Case: Cooler Master COSMOS S
Power Supply: Silverstone OP1000-E 1000W
Rig Accessory: D-Link DNS-343 NAS
Internet Connection: aDSL 10/1Mbps

Post by a4nic8er »

1. Image
Plug a monitor into the left side of that laptop (to discover whether the problem is with card or laptop screen).

Watch a video on how to strip down that laptop.

3. Unplug the power cord and remove the battery before starting!
war-barney
750+ Posts
Neocron Characters: Warb Arney

Doctor Barney

Kalvix
League of Legends Character: Kalvix
Minecraft Username: war barney
WoW Server: Dawnbringer

Post by war-barney »

Thanks I'll give it a go opening it up today, I've tried the fn+f5 thing when conntected to a my TV (normally connect this laptop to it to watch stuff so it definitely works) but it still doesn't get an image so I'm guessing its stuck at the boot menu or something.

Edit: Just tried taking off the back panel for the hard drive and removed it then put it back in and the screen remains blacks, took of the other easy to get off panel as well but all seemed connected properly there as well.

Edit: I left it on for a while to see what happens and there are now 2 blues lights on at the front left, when before there was only 1 blue and 1 orange which went on and off now and then.
Krypto
1500+ Posts
Xbox GamerTag: Sev3ndus7
Neocron Characters: KryptonitE
cdmlotyo
Crovax
Vitamin-X
Chaos Theory
Fallen Earth Characters: Sxr Krypto (Vehicle/weapons/armor tradeskiller)
Kryptoniite (Rifle/Mutations)
()
()
WoW Armory: Exposure
WoW Server: Firetree/Cenarius
Video Card: Geforce GTX570
Internet Connection: 40Mb

Post by Krypto »

Re-seed the RAM in it. Hopefully it has a small panel on the bottom for your RAM. Damaged or disconnected ram can cause it to not boot at all, & the screen would stay black.

After re-seeding the memory, I'd say just try to get into the bios to make sure the mobo is workin decent. If at that point you CAN get into the bios, but still wont boot the HD, I'd say that HD is done for. Especially if it was ON when it fell from a window.
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your Tears Fuel Me