Welcome to the Official SynergyXR Forums! You will have to register to post and if you're new here, please read our Welcome Post and Forum Rules.

Um, Steam's In-House Streaming is AMAZING!

General discussion about MMORPGs, Neocron, SXR, or anything else you feel like blabbing about.

Um, Steam's In-House Streaming is AMAZING!

Postby FN on Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:57 pm

So last night I needed to log into ARK periodically a few times but didn't want to keep going down to my office so my plan was to just fire up the ARK Client on my Macbook and do what I needed to quickly there. Unfortunately since the Macbook isn't really geared for gaming it doesn't run very well so I would never actually "play" the game from it.

Well when I launched Steam, instead of a "Play" button on the ARK game page, it said "Stream"...

It launched ARK on my gaming PC then just streamed it to my Macbook! I had no clue Steam could do this so forgive me if I'm just being a n00b here but I was seriously impressed. It was like sitting at my PC, just with a smaller screen. No lag, no issues, totally worked. I was really impressed and now I might catch myself gaming on my Macbook while casually chilling in the livingroom or by the pool now.
FN

Vitals
Posts » 4007
Joined » Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:52 pm
Location » Pennsylvania, US
Gamer IDs

Re: Um, Steam's In-House Streaming is AMAZING!

Postby a4nic8er on Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:39 pm

Yea, it's cool isn't it?

Steam are also offering preorder of the Steam Controller which I imagine will be available around the same time as Steam Link so you can play with 1080p, 60Hz streaming to your TV.

"Valve's cheap Steam Link and Controller could woo Steam Machine skeptics"
a4nic8er

Vitals
Posts » 1522
Joined » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:24 am
Location » New Zealand
Gamer IDs

Re: Um, Steam's In-House Streaming is AMAZING!

Postby Pantho on Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:24 pm

Been using this recently, but the colour is annoying me, It's not as vibrant as it should be, looks a bit dulled.

However you can do some nice stuff with it, use it as a general remote desktop etc. But mainly you can launch some crappy game that uses no resources and then stream a non steam game over it very successfully, an origin game for example.
Pantho

Vitals
Posts » 3323
Joined » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:19 pm
Gamer IDs
Rig
» Windows XP x86
» Core2Duo 26400 2.8ghz
» Intel DG395RY
» 4GB 4x1GB Crucial XMS2 800mhz
» 8800GTS 640mb
» 300gb Sata2