Scum

General discussion about MMORPGs, Neocron, SXR, or anything else you feel like blabbing about.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Official SynergyXR Forums! You will have to register to post and if you're new here, please read our Welcome Post and Forum Rules.
Lachlan
2000+ Posts
Steam ID: lachlan
Twitch.tv Profile: lachlanzema
Xbox GamerTag: lynx769
EVE Online Character: Lachlan Alanthos

Scum

Post by Lachlan »

Scum released in early access on Steam a couple of days ago for $20 USD.

Scum a super-realistic survival game where you are a prisoner put onto an island with other prisoners as a sort of reality game show. There's "zombies" as well but they are called puppets and in the game lore they are used by the hosts to separate or herd prisoners where they want them to go.

Review:
Imagine if Dayz, Escape From Tarkov, and Rust had a baby, this would be it.

+Fun
+Simple UI (KINDA)
+Intense but not overly stressful

-Buggy
-Poor Optimization in areas with large buildings
-The stat tracking is confusing, and a little over-bearing for what I think the game should be
Lachlan
2000+ Posts
Steam ID: lachlan
Twitch.tv Profile: lachlanzema
Xbox GamerTag: lynx769
EVE Online Character: Lachlan Alanthos

Re: Scum

Post by Lachlan »

My first spawn lasted for about 4 hours of game time. At first food seemed hard to come by until I figured out you could chop up the zombies (some of which seem to be fallen players judging by their loot, but some just spawn) for protein. By far the most useful item is the ax which you can also use to chop wood and kill zombies. Melee is a bit frustrating because it has to be timed to zombie's hit or your swing is interrupted. I took on 2 to 3 zombies circling them between hits, but more than 3 used too much stamina. The players that I met were all new as well so they were interested forming into squads and trading items than killing each other, but I'm sure that will change.

I geared up pretty well with everything I needed except I never found a magazine for either the handgun or rifle I had. I found weapons and ample amount of ammo, but no magazines so I couldn't use it. I was using the ax primarily. I headed out solo to the airfield which is guarded by 3 or 4 mechs that I saw and actually managed to do a decent job of getting in undetected. Unfortunately, I attracted a couple too many zombies inside of a hanger and one clipped through a wall before I realized I had dropped my ax somewhere. I ran outside away from them and got taken out by a mech.

You earn "fame points" which is a bit like experience and you can choose to spend those points to revive (random location costs least, near squad mates costs the most) rather than re-rolling, but do you still lose everything and start back in the prison jumpsuit. You also spend fame points to enter events like team deathmatch and I'm sure there will eventually be a battle royale mode.

Overall, it has all of the familiar elements of DayZ and H1Z1, but it's more realistic on the survival aspect. You have to managing not only food that you eat, but what kind of food that you eat. Your body will change over time based on that and how muscular or fat you are affects running speed, stamina, etc. There is a detailed monitor that shows you calories consumed, calories burned, how full your bladder is as well as your stomach, intestines, and colon. You do need to relieve yourself regularly when they get full. There are monitors for breathing, heart rate, O2 saturation, etc. There a complete medical system that includes healing from physical injuries, infections, and illness which can be treated with the right supplies. The crafting system isn't the greatest thing I've seen, but it's definitely usable.

The most innovative feature that I really like is there is no hold shift to run. You move with ASWD and use the scroll wheel to change your speed from walk to jogging to full out sprint. There is a sweet spot in the middle where you move pretty quickly without using much if any stamina (depends on terrain).