Playing Guild Wars

General discussion about MMORPGs, Neocron, SXR, or anything else you feel like blabbing about.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Official SynergyXR Forums! You will have to register to post and if you're new here, please read our Welcome Post and Forum Rules.
Social-Zero
100+ Posts

Playing Guild Wars

Post by Social-Zero »

Hello people,

I'm currently playing Guild Wars and I heard Mumbly was also playing.

If anyone feels like it, u can contact me in game

Name: Social The Brave
FN
3000+ Posts
Steam ID: fnsxr
Twitch.tv Profile: SynfullTV
Neocron Characters: FN
EVE Online Character: Xenivous Synfull
Operating System: Windows 8 Professional 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge @ 3.5Ghz
CPU Heatsink/Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Intel Z77
Memory (RAM): Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 30nm
Video Card: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 660 2GB
Hard Drive: 256GB RAID 0 (2 x Samsung 830 SATA3 SSD)
Hard Drive (Secondary): 1TB RAID 0 (2 x WD 7200RPM SATA2 HDD)
Monitor: RCA 40" LCD TV
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa
Mouse: Microsoft/Razer Habu Laser Mouse
Case: NZXT M59 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply: BFG 550 Watt Dual +12V Rail
Rig Accessory: Wolf King Warrior FPS Keyboard (Red)
Internet Connection: 35Mbs/3Mbs Cable

Post by FN »

Screenshots? Review?

I have -100% interest in Fantasy Games, but I am interested in what you think. Tell Mumbly to stop in and say hi :(
satransisuu
1000+ Posts
WoW Server: Nathrezim

Post by satransisuu »

guildwars is shit
FN: hey sat, what did you tell your parents when you left?
Me: i told them i was going out to study
FN: ......................
Cadeo
At least 1 Post

Post by Cadeo »

I miss mumbly more than anyone here could possibly imagine :(

he and I shared a bond that only HC driver spies with the desire to make crazy eccentric setups can have :(
drake6k
At least 1 Post

Post by drake6k »

I'm playing Guild Wars aswell.

I've made Mirrorshades there :p

It's
Jack Drake - 14 mes/ele
Tostino (he is in Paradox. Ex-Mirrorshade I know him IRL)
Drew (aka Unisist or Dru in Paradox, he was in my first clan on Pluto)
Houston (Ex-Mirrorshade, know him IRL)
Benjie (Ex-Mirrorshade, hes that weirdo from the nc forums, my friend :p)
Joe (aka tweek, didn't like NC very much and is my RL brother)

We have a guild cape now too :p I hope to bring MS into competitve pvp.

This has been keeping me from NC (and RL stuff) the last few days since Guild Wars was released. It's a good game and even better considering there is no monthly fee, I can't feel bad if I don't play every day. The graphics are AMAZING consdering the detail level and how fast it runs. Game based on pvp and teamwork instead of how long you've been playing. I highly recommend it.

I just got to Kryta, leaving the ice cave I ran right into this beautiful place.
http://www.jackdiehl.com/gw1.jpg
http://www.jackdiehl.com/gw2.jpg
Comie
500+ Posts
Neocron Characters: Comie Hol
Hutch
EVE Online Character: Comie Dey
WoW Armory: Deychundei, Chomie
WoW Server: frostmane

Post by Comie »

auto targetting?

or do yu have to aim?

i want RYL 1 back *sniffs*
Myrlin
500+ Posts
Minecraft Username: Myrlin
Aion: Myrthas
WoW Armory: Myrthas
WoW Server: Dawnbringer
Operating System: Windows 7
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz
Memory (RAM): 2Gb DDR2
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS
Hard Drive: WD 80GB
Hard Drive (Secondary): WD 250 GB
Monitor: Dell 1905FP (Digital)
Keyboard: Wolfclaw II
Mouse: Microsoft Intellimouse Pro
Internet Connection: FIOS 10 down / 2 up

Post by Myrlin »

This was written by someone on the WoW forums. I don't know if it's accurate or not. I'll give my comments at the end:

[quote] Hello and welcome to my "guide" of WOW and GW. If your thinking of changing games you should read this...

GRAPHICS: The one reason that I wanted to move on to Guild Wars was because the graphics. Yes, the graphics are amzazing, espesially the characters. Once thing that you may notice is that a level 1 wow char doesn't look as "cool" or "equipped" as a level lvl 60. In Guild Wars, you start off looking pimped. And even so, you keep getting better looks, or it really does matter on your taste, and what you want your guy to wear. One thing that i do not like is that in Guild Wars you don;t get that many armor choices and places. In Wow you can wear armor almost everywhere on your body. In Guild Wars you can only wear armor on your chest, head, feet, arms, and legs.

INTERFACE/ARMOR: One thing i don't like about GW is that you can't see your armor and reduction. There is no bar saying, "Armor: 800, 30% reduction" In fact there is also no Stamina, Intellect, Strength, etc at all. Your "hero" screen shows "Level, Rank, Guild, and an Exp bar (and a few more things that are pretty stupid and uninportant)" It also doesn't tell you your DPS or how strong your wep is. The only indication of damage that you do is by your wep. An example of a weapon would look like this, "9-11, Two-handed, +4 Energy, +15 armor (vs Earth attack)" <You won't get anymore information then that.

LEVELING: Another thing that took me by surprise is that the level cap for Guild Wars is level 20! Yes, level 20. But let me tell you why they chose this. First of all getting to level 20, is a lot harder then getting to level 20 in WoW. The comparison is about level 1-30 in wow. The reason they chose this is because they don’t want it to be a drag. I mean, the good and cool content in WOW all comes at level 50+, but it takes forever to get there. That’s why Guild Wars is a lot easier and quicker to have fun in.

PVP: Let me explain the PvP in guild wars and in World of Warcraft because they are hugely different. First off in Guild Wars there is only 1 race. Here is how PVP goes. You go into “arenasâ€
FN
3000+ Posts

Post by FN »

I love how misleading the pricing has been regarding the whole thing. No Subscription fee... except for the $50 for expansion packs every 6 months. But they're not required to buy... but come on seriously, who is NOT going to buy it if they already have the game? It's a very clever pricing model.

But I played in the beta a little - it's pretty *shrug* like I said before in some other thread, I don't want a wizard or a knight - gimme a damn gun :P
drake6k
At least 1 Post

Post by drake6k »

FN wrote: seriously, who is NOT going to buy it if they already have the game? It's a very clever pricing model.

But I played in the beta a little - it's pretty *shrug* like I said before in some other thread, I don't want a wizard or a knight - gimme a damn gun :P
You probably right about the pricing model but hey If the expansion is worth the price then it must be great. I'll be happy if they release a quality expansion that often.

I don't usualy like fantasy so much. Holding up a gun to someones face in a dirty cyberpunk city is just priceless. I have a great (and easy) time roleplaying in Neocron. I can really get into the part of a Cyberpunk criminal better than anything in a fantasy world. The limits of fantasy are too far away from real life to relate well.

I play guild wars because of the type of team pvp. Kinda like Magic the Gathering or Chess. Neocron is for roleplaying and quake combat.
Comie
500+ Posts
Neocron Characters: Comie Hol
Hutch
EVE Online Character: Comie Dey
WoW Armory: Deychundei, Chomie
WoW Server: frostmane

Post by Comie »

FN wrote:I love how misleading the pricing has been regarding the whole thing. No Subscription fee... except for the $50 for expansion packs every 6 months. But they're not required to buy... but come on seriously, who is NOT going to buy it if they already have the game? It's a very clever pricing model.

yet EQ has a subscription fee and yu have to pay$40-ish per expantion pack, and yu need each expantion pack if;
A) yu want a group
B) be able to cope in current content (new special abilities and spells that yu can only get from venders there and theyre no drop)
C) any cool equipment upgrade

all WoW and GW have done is split up the EQ model and take a different aspect of it
drake6k
At least 1 Post

Post by drake6k »

Comie wrote:
FN wrote:
all WoW and GW have done is split up the EQ model and take a different aspect of it
I wouldn't put GW in the same position as EQ or WoW. For now there are no fees at all and when there is a expansion it's actually an expansion! And if its not worth a damn no one will buy it.
Myrlin
500+ Posts
Minecraft Username: Myrlin
Aion: Myrthas
WoW Armory: Myrthas
WoW Server: Dawnbringer
Operating System: Windows 7
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz
Memory (RAM): 2Gb DDR2
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS
Hard Drive: WD 80GB
Hard Drive (Secondary): WD 250 GB
Monitor: Dell 1905FP (Digital)
Keyboard: Wolfclaw II
Mouse: Microsoft Intellimouse Pro
Internet Connection: FIOS 10 down / 2 up

Post by Myrlin »

drake6k wrote:I can really get into the part of a Cyberpunk criminal better than anything in a fantasy world. The limits of fantasy are too far away from real life to relate well.
That's exactly why I play fantasy. Cyberpunk criminal stuff is close enough to real life that I can't possibly imagine myself ever doing those things and therefore it ruins the immersion in the game. With fantasy I can suspend my disbelief and enjoy the, well, fantasy.
Rento
250+ Posts

Post by Rento »

I miss mumbly more than I enjoy mansex

I miss him so
FN
3000+ Posts

Post by FN »

Myrlin wrote:
drake6k wrote:I can really get into the part of a Cyberpunk criminal better than anything in a fantasy world. The limits of fantasy are too far away from real life to relate well.
That's exactly why I play fantasy. Cyberpunk criminal stuff is close enough to real life that I can't possibly imagine myself ever doing those things and therefore it ruins the immersion in the game. With fantasy I can suspend my disbelief and enjoy the, well, fantasy.
Like Drake, I relate more to a game where there is a relatively real looking city around me, people who look like people, not orcs or faeries or trolls, using guns and tangible weapons... even PSI in NC is at least explained by a focusing of Psycho-kinetic energy. But a wizard with a 'magical' stick.... no thanks.

Personally, being in a game where 99% of it is completely unrealistic (WoW, GW, EQ, AC2, and even RYL) really just.... turns me off, hardcore. Games like FoM, NC, and TW are games that extrapolate a possible realistic future. I like that. I try to be un-opinionated when it comes to this stuff, but to be totally honest, I just want to beat people with a bat and say "STOP BEING GAY YOU'RE NOT AN ORC OR A TROLL OR A FAERIE OR ANYTHING THAT ISN'T HUMAN".... but I suppose we play games to escape reality *shrug*

At the end of the day, we all have our opinions, and I guess we should just be glad we're playing what we're playing because we're having fun.
Neosuke
At least 1 Post

Post by Neosuke »

Heh, you know what funny? I just started NC, and just sorta quit Guild Wars. I started playing GW the day of its released and have about 3 maxed out role playing characters. Its really just a PvP team game. Very short RolePlaying(PvE) content.

Basically in the end game, you'll want to be PvPing as a guild. Its hard to get a good group to pvp with with. The pick up groups tend to suck because of new players and retards who can't listen to the plans and instructions. Even if you have a decent group to PvP with, all you're doing is the Guild Ladder, which gets boring after awhile anyway.

Anet claims that theres is no grind in that game, that being good in the game is more about skill than the time spent on it. The latter part is true, but theres a lot of grind in order to find the good gear and to capture all the elite skills you need. If you don't like grinding to PvP - you won't like this aspect. On he other hand, if you like grinding, the only thing you can show for it is the fancy rare stuff that isn't better than the normal stuff. It just looks better. Basically, a player spending 500 hours on GW doesn't have much more to show than someone who has played for 100 hours or so.

Right now I'm taking a break from Guild Wars, as there isn't enough content in PvE. And I can't seem to gather the manpower to GvG or even the PvP tournament they call "Tombs".

Basically, I'm on the other side of the spectrum, I'm going from GW to Neocron because I'm bored of GW, and want to try something new. I prefer being able to show what you have after spending hours on end on your character. But if you're the Counter-Strike type of player, you might like Guild Wars. However, fair warning, alot of people have eventually quit within a month or so because it gets boring quick.