"Fair & Balanced"

General discussion about MMORPGs, Neocron, SXR, or anything else you feel like blabbing about.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Official SynergyXR Forums! You will have to register to post and if you're new here, please read our Welcome Post and Forum Rules.
Ozambabbaz
100+ Posts
Neocron Characters: Ozambabbaz
Iggy Bwana
Grumbles
Seth Bwana
WoW Server: Kazzak EU
Location: Saralystallé, Højbjerg, Århus, Danmark, Skandinavien, Europa, 3. sten fra Solen

"Fair & Balanced"

Post by Ozambabbaz »

Saw this program last night Outfoxed
so i got a few questions for the US peeps if ya don't mind :)

How many of ya watch the channel?

Do you think many people watch that channel?

Is it that bad, ie is the propaganda really that thick?
Coo
250+ Posts
Steam ID: mcouillard
Nintendo Wii ID: 455506771961
Fallen Earth Characters: Cxoo (5 - Rifle/Support)
()
()
()
Global Agenda Character: Cjoo
Minecraft Username: Cjoo
Operating System: Win7 64bit
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 550
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3
Memory (RAM): 6gb DDR3
Video Card: EVGA nVidia GT 240 DDR5
Hard Drive: WD Caviar Black 640mb
Monitor: Dell 17" LCD
Keyboard: IBM black standard
Mouse: GE 5-button optical
Power Supply: 430w Antec Earthwatts
Internet Connection: FIOS 30/10mb

Post by Coo »

I watch it for a laugh, occasionally.

It's unfortunately one of the most popular news stations in the US. It's not always *that* bad... but the guests they have tend to slant to the Republican side. Ok, and so does the FOX itself.

Most of us know this already but continue to watch cause it's rather engaging news casting.
Ozambabbaz
100+ Posts
Iggy Bwana
Grumbles
Seth Bwana
Location: Saralystallé, Højbjerg, Århus, Danmark, Skandinavien, Europa, 3. sten fra Solen

Post by Ozambabbaz »

Coo wrote:I watch it for a laugh, occasionally.

It's unfortunately one of the most popular news stations in the US. It's not always *that* bad... but the guests they have tend to slant to the Republican side. Ok, and so does the FOX itself.

Most of us know this already but continue to watch cause it's rather engaging news casting.
kind off the car wreck effect? damn nasty but u gotta see how bad it is?

one of the most disturbing parts of it was that a few polls done by FAIR and some other liberal orgs showed that regular people watching Fox was inclined to have gotten things wrong, like a staggering percentage of 85 ( of people watching Fox news regularly) bilieved that the US has found WMDs in Iraq, and some 60ish % thought that hard evidence was found linking Al Qaeda to Saddam Hussein.

But it's always difficult for me to get a clear scope of whats going on in these cases. For example this particular program Outfoxed is about (alledgedly) how right wing conservatist a "Fair & Balanced" nation wide tv news station proclaims NOT to be but actually is.

But the producers of such a programme has an agenda as well, so it's kinda like filtering salt from seawater with a tweezer before drinking it.

anyways, if ur watching Fox once in awhile i'd also suggest to watch this "documentary" as well, it was kinda funny seeing that mad hatter O'Reilly go completely ballistic on the poor liberalists :lol:
The Light
100+ Posts

Post by The Light »

yes, fox is slanted. yes, all others are slanted as well. Its like watching BET and saying "look how much african-american programming they are showing". when you watch fox you get one side and when you watch cnn you get another.
Bladepoint
At least 1 Post
Location: Somewhere over there... NO Not there, There behind you!

Post by Bladepoint »

It is slanted but frankly every channel is Oz. One of CNN's producers self-described jobs is to get John Kerry elected, frankly that seems to be a bit of a conflict of interest. Another problem with polls is you can do lots of things to skew the data. Of course a liberal media watchdog is gonna slam Fox News just as a conservative news group would probably slam CNN. Don't believe polls, there was a study done in the US that liberals and gun control advocates used that stated something like you were three times more likely to kill/injure a family member if you had a gun at home. The study data was taken from like a single county in Oregon not the whole US, but none of them ever mentioned that. Watch Wolf Blitzer, particularly older clips in the aftermath of 9/11 or during the Afghanistan combat operations. That man always tries to phrase his questions in the worse way possible.
Lachlan
2000+ Posts
Steam ID: lachlan
Twitch.tv Profile: lachlanzema
Xbox GamerTag: lynx769
EVE Online Character: Lachlan Alanthos

Post by Lachlan »

two words: Dan Rather

lol
Borgoth
At least 1 Post

Post by Borgoth »

Tell me please "what form of politics or government is fair and balanced" lol

and another qoute

History is written by the winners

and another one

Dont beleive everything you read or hear -- form your own judgement from the facts available -- and then it still might be wrong but at least you will have made your own choice and not listened to the masses
Dajuda
250+ Posts
Steam ID: Dajuda

Post by Dajuda »

That site is more propaganda than the actual channel.
Lev
50+ Posts

This may be completely one sided but...

Post by Lev »

A good description of that show and Fox in general is the title of the book by Al Franken. "Lies and the Lying Liar's Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right" As for CNN being the oposite of fox.... I'm sorry but I have to disagree CNN while not as far right leaning can hardly be called a leftest organization. If you are smart and live in America and actually give a fuck about politics you need to do a few things. 1) Watch Fox 2) Watch CNN 3) Watch the Daily Show 4) Read FactCheck.org 5) Realize that every politician lies or at least distorts the truth.

The Daily show is a bit left leaning but they point the absurdities in the campaigns of both shows. The important thing is to keep your common sense.

Oh also Im using a text browser right now while i make my computer work, but can some one find a link for the crossfire video where Jon Stewart tears them a new asshole? Thats fucking hilarious
/A Registered Republican
Coo
250+ Posts
Steam ID: mcouillard
Nintendo Wii ID: 455506771961
Fallen Earth Characters: Cxoo (5 - Rifle/Support)
()
()
()
Global Agenda Character: Cjoo
Minecraft Username: Cjoo
Operating System: Win7 64bit
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 550
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3
Memory (RAM): 6gb DDR3
Video Card: EVGA nVidia GT 240 DDR5
Hard Drive: WD Caviar Black 640mb
Monitor: Dell 17" LCD
Keyboard: IBM black standard
Mouse: GE 5-button optical
Power Supply: 430w Antec Earthwatts
Internet Connection: FIOS 30/10mb

Post by Coo »

Jon Stewart on Crossfire:

http://bitflood.org:8080/?file=791b2f5d ... 1e73964185

A rarity on US television. In a good way.

For more good stuff from the J-man, albiet a toned down version, check out NPR: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=4054791
Borgoth
At least 1 Post

Post by Borgoth »

um yeah just what Lev said -- ditto
Ozambabbaz
100+ Posts
Iggy Bwana
Grumbles
Seth Bwana

Post by Ozambabbaz »

thx alot for the amount of feedback :)

over here in Europe, people only really watch CNN, if any US network channels at all, or snippets in our own news stations.

as far as fox being right and cnn left, i guess i'd be leaning towards Levs view.

like for example the 2 main parties in US, if viewed in comparison with "normal" european governments, they'd be "classified" as ultra right wing Republicans and the right wing democrats.

but unfortunately we've seen alot more of this trend also over here, news turning into info-tainment and general slandering, while political parties also leaning more and more to the right.
Kultrox
At least 1 Post

Post by Kultrox »

I love the John Stewart stuff. At least he admids (and constantly reminds the audiance) that the Daily Show is NOT a news show. I can't stand any of the other news shows, where they clearly care more about their ratings than what the hell is really going on. Well, I did like some European news shows, but it hard to get the Belgian news out here in California. (Yes, I'm a Belgian living in Ca)

I missed John S. on Crossfire, so thanks for the link. I'm downloading it right now.
Take care,
Kul