what videocard?? where is the stability lol

General discussion about MMORPGs, Neocron, SXR, or anything else you feel like blabbing about.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Official SynergyXR Forums! You will have to register to post and if you're new here, please read our Welcome Post and Forum Rules.
zombie
At least 1 Post
Neocron Characters: zombie65
xeion
WoW Server: Dawnbringer

what videocard?? where is the stability lol

Post by zombie »

looking at the xfx and gigabyte 7870s and they seem to have great reviews, ive always ran asus cards but my last three were terrible for crashing and ram leaks and with reviews that i have read im not the only person feeling this pain.
Zalaz
250+ Posts
Steam ID: Zalaz86
PlayStation Network ID: Zalaz86
EVE Online Character: Nunquam
Operating System: Windows 7
Internet Connection: Cable

Re: what videocard?? where is the stability lol

Post by Zalaz »

Funny you mention this, as I've just had a rig built with a Gigabyte 7870. Having been a longtime Nvidia user, I had a hard time adapting to the Catalyst driver layout. If you're used to Catalyst, then yes I think you'll have a good time with it, especially for the price. I scoured forums before purchasing one and most owners compared it to the Nvidia 660 ti in terms of performance. I decided to swap mine out for a refurbished GTX 580 Classified.

EDIT: I just saw your rig specs in a prior thread. I too went with the Vishera FX 8350! Although, I stayed Gigabyte on the mobo with the Black Edition 990FX. How's the onboard sound on the Sabretooth? I've had some terrible quality sound coming from mine, but I've been glancing at ASUS Xonar cards regardless.
Vaeyn
750+ Posts

Post by Vaeyn »

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php ... &card2=677
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

7870 will do higher resses a bit better. A 660 Ti will render a bit faster. Get what you prefer and can afford imho.

I ALWAYS get a sound card. Fuq onboard, sorry. You build a rig for 1-2K, get a soundcard, lol. I've stuck with Creative higher end end over the years with some Turtle Beach but most like, and would recommend, will go with an HT | OMEGA Claro for my next full rig.
Pantho
3000+ Posts
Steam ID: sam86
WoW Server: Me+Fanyasy = Chosen
Operating System: Windows XP x86
CPU: Core2Duo 26400 2.8ghz
Motherboard: Intel DG395RY
Memory (RAM): 4GB 4x1GB Crucial XMS2 800mhz
Video Card: 8800GTS 640mb
Hard Drive: 300gb Sata2
Monitor: 19" Hanns-G
Secondary Monitor: 19" DMG
Keyboard: Logitech S510
Mouse: Logitech MX Revolution
Case: Some obsenly heavy thing - Cooler Master
Power Supply: 650W Modular Corsair
Internet Connection: 10MB Cable

Post by Pantho »

Vaeyn wrote:http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

7870 will do higher resses a bit better. A 660 Ti will render a bit faster. Get what you prefer and can afford imho.

I ALWAYS get a sound card. Fuq onboard, sorry. You build a rig for 1-2K, get a soundcard, lol. I've stuck with Creative higher end end over the years with some Turtle Beach but most like, and would recommend, will go with an HT | OMEGA Claro for my next full rig.

I use optical output on my onboard sound card to my 5.1 headphones (true 5.1, as in lots of mini speakers per headphone).

I really don't see how using a separate soundcard would change the sound quality much if any, a lot of onboard sound systems over the past 5 years have been amazing.
Zalaz
250+ Posts
Steam ID: Zalaz86
PlayStation Network ID: Zalaz86
EVE Online Character: Nunquam
Operating System: Windows 7
Internet Connection: Cable

Post by Zalaz »

Pantho wrote:I really don't see how using a separate soundcard would change the sound quality much if any, a lot of onboard sound systems over the past 5 years have been amazing.
Prior to the Dynaudio/Realtek system that came installed in the laptop I had, I was using a Native Instruments Audio 6 as a quality sound card substitute. I tested them at the recommended 24-bit 96Khz dual-channel setting and both had sounded equally amazing. The onboard audio in this mobo is a Realtek ALC889 which can supposedly go up to 24-bit 192Khz. I can't even tolerate the default 16-bit 48Khz setting... If I take the volume above 50%, I start getting a static hiss sound. It gets much worse when I increase the quality setting, with the static hiss intruding at lower volume percentages. I glanced the negative mentionings in the Newegg reviews too late, but quite a few owners bashed the onboard audio quality on these particular mobos. The Sabretooth's come equipped with the ALC 892 model for better 8-channel support, which is why I inquired to Zombie about the quality on those. I ebayed that Audio 6 off long ago so I'm hoping a Xonar will do the job.
Why on earth are the GTX 590 and 690 behind some of their same series cards on that chart? That made me chuckle, lol.
Chosen One
3000+ Posts
Steam ID: sxrchosen1
Neocron Characters: Chosen One
Wendy
Van C
Rufio
Muff Driver
Komie
Global Agenda Character: Chosen_One
Tribes Ascend Character: sxrchosen1
EVE Online Character: Rakkor Symbiot
Minecraft Username: sxrchosen1
Aion: Zsusun
WoW Armory: ...what Mace said...
WoW Server: Shrek online
Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit SP2
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.8GHz
Motherboard: EVGA E758-TR 3-Way SLI Intel X58 ATX
Memory (RAM): OCZ Platinum 6GB DDR3 1600
Video Card: BFG Tech GeForce GTX 280 1GB 512-bit
Hard Drive: SAMSUNG 1TB 7200 RPM 3.0 SATA
Monitor: SAMSUNG 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD DVI
Keyboard: Dell
Mouse: Logitech
Case: Antec 1200 Black Steel ATX Full Tower
Power Supply: CORSAIR 650W
Internet Connection: innerweb

Post by Chosen One »

Anything with the number "8" in Nvidia's cards have always been top notch. I had 8800, 9800, and GTX280. My 550ti is a budget card I have until I get a better CPU/motherboard.

First gen i7 user here :roll:
FN
3000+ Posts
Steam ID: fnsxr
Twitch.tv Profile: SynfullTV
Neocron Characters: FN
EVE Online Character: Xenivous Synfull
Operating System: Windows 8 Professional 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge @ 3.5Ghz
CPU Heatsink/Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Intel Z77
Memory (RAM): Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 30nm
Video Card: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 660 2GB
Hard Drive: 256GB RAID 0 (2 x Samsung 830 SATA3 SSD)
Hard Drive (Secondary): 1TB RAID 0 (2 x WD 7200RPM SATA2 HDD)
Monitor: RCA 40" LCD TV
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa
Mouse: Microsoft/Razer Habu Laser Mouse
Case: NZXT M59 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply: BFG 550 Watt Dual +12V Rail
Rig Accessory: Wolf King Warrior FPS Keyboard (Red)
Internet Connection: 35Mbs/3Mbs Cable

Post by FN »

I'll be picking up a 660 Ti in a month or so for my 3rd Gen i7

I've just always stuck to Nvidia so I don't have any opinion on ATI's offerings
Vaeyn
750+ Posts

Post by Vaeyn »

Damn, I double posted that link. Here is the other I meant to post:

If you've onboard audio you like, good on ya. Mine have always played OK audio, sometimes, but I am not stellar impressed. Headphones, even good ones, is not the same as running 7.1 to speakers like I do (and headphones). I'd also add that no onboard audio I have had worked with my receivers at all or well for my computers hooked to TVs for non-gaming stuff. There is also the issue of inputs, like mic, not just outputs. I've found the mic in also sucks onboard a lot. Depends on taste. I am a major audio and video phile.

As for the benchmark chart, the *9* cards are below *8* and other cards because that is where they benchmarked. *shrug* My guess is it is the slightly slower core and shader clock speeds of the *9* versus *8* that caused this. Also, I'd need to check, the *9* cards might be made for something more specific in mind like multiple monitors or some such since they have two processors versus one and I think twice the memory. http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php ... &card2=668 The NVidia branding numbers practically do not mean shiet. Also, a $1K card does not mean it is that much better than the $500 one. I just know that when push comes to shove, I'd stick to the *60 Ti cards myself hands down. To me, and that is why they make them, they are the bread and butter perfect point in performance versus cost cards released (usually to compete directly with and exceed an ATI card in that bracket). Also, that chart from what I have seen does not move in HUGE leaps, so those top three cards are all close in FPS in games. It also depends on what you play on and prefer. I have an IPS panel 30" LCD and like to run at 2560x1600 so I need a card that can push those higher resses. If you play on a 17" widescreen, um, you don't need as high of some rates.
Krypto
1500+ Posts
Xbox GamerTag: Sev3ndus7
Neocron Characters: KryptonitE
cdmlotyo
Crovax
Vitamin-X
Chaos Theory
Fallen Earth Characters: Sxr Krypto (Vehicle/weapons/armor tradeskiller)
Kryptoniite (Rifle/Mutations)
()
()
WoW Armory: Exposure
WoW Server: Firetree/Cenarius
Video Card: Geforce GTX570
Internet Connection: 40Mb

Post by Krypto »

make sure you at least have an i5 processor. a beasty gfx isn't gunna improve your gaming & stability with frames much if your processor isnt a beast. Doesnt matter if the janitor can clean extremely good with a mop, if you have him using a toothbrush.
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your Tears Fuel Me
Pantho
3000+ Posts
Steam ID: sam86
WoW Server: Me+Fanyasy = Chosen
Operating System: Windows XP x86
CPU: Core2Duo 26400 2.8ghz
Motherboard: Intel DG395RY
Memory (RAM): 4GB 4x1GB Crucial XMS2 800mhz
Video Card: 8800GTS 640mb
Hard Drive: 300gb Sata2
Monitor: 19" Hanns-G
Secondary Monitor: 19" DMG
Keyboard: Logitech S510
Mouse: Logitech MX Revolution
Case: Some obsenly heavy thing - Cooler Master
Power Supply: 650W Modular Corsair
Internet Connection: 10MB Cable

Post by Pantho »

Vaeyn wrote:Damn, I double posted that link. Here is the other I meant to post:

If you've onboard audio you like, good on ya. Mine have always played OK audio, sometimes, but I am not stellar impressed. Headphones, even good ones, is not the same as running 7.1 to speakers like I do (and headphones). I'd also add that no onboard audio I have had worked with my receivers at all or well for my computers hooked to TVs for non-gaming stuff. There is also the issue of inputs, like mic, not just outputs. I've found the mic in also sucks onboard a lot. Depends on taste. I am a major audio and video phile.

As for the benchmark chart, the *9* cards are below *8* and other cards because that is where they benchmarked. *shrug* My guess is it is the slightly slower core and shader clock speeds of the *9* versus *8* that caused this. Also, I'd need to check, the *9* cards might be made for something more specific in mind like multiple monitors or some such since they have two processors versus one and I think twice the memory. http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php ... &card2=668 The NVidia branding numbers practically do not mean shiet. Also, a $1K card does not mean it is that much better than the $500 one. I just know that when push comes to shove, I'd stick to the *60 Ti cards myself hands down. To me, and that is why they make them, they are the bread and butter perfect point in performance versus cost cards released (usually to compete directly with and exceed an ATI card in that bracket). Also, that chart from what I have seen does not move in HUGE leaps, so those top three cards are all close in FPS in games. It also depends on what you play on and prefer. I have an IPS panel 30" LCD and like to run at 2560x1600 so I need a card that can push those higher resses. If you play on a 17" widescreen, um, you don't need as high of some rates.

I run a true 5.1 speaker headphone through my optical output, so I can't really see how it's not the same. But my downstairs system runs through a full speaker systems in the media center. I can't remember what mobo is in that but I pretty much bought it just for the onboard sound card. Although given most motherboards now you might as well save the 40-50£ and buy a decent budget motherboard and get a seperate sound card I guess, that way it will migrate between systems.

But presuming you buy a good motherboard im still in belief that a decent one is equal to sub £100 sound cards.
Vaeyn
750+ Posts

Post by Vaeyn »

Pantho wrote:
Vaeyn wrote:Damn, I double posted that link. Here is the other I meant to post:

I run a true 5.1 speaker headphone through my optical output, so I can't really see how it's not the same. But my downstairs system runs through a full speaker systems in the media center. I can't remember what mobo is in that but I pretty much bought it just for the onboard sound card. Although given most motherboards now you might as well save the 40-50£ and buy a decent budget motherboard and get a seperate sound card I guess, that way it will migrate between systems.

But presuming you buy a good motherboard im still in belief that a decent one is equal to sub £100 sound cards.

I am sure it is an outstanding headset, but there is no true surround on a headset. It may pipe the sounds to the correct, separate channeled speakers, but it is not surround. Emulation sounds good and tricks the brains and ears as does what you might have, but it is an aural trick (that works really well). As I said, I am happy you have a MoBo with sound you are happy with. I have tested many over the years and never been as happy as with a card. ;) To each their own. Either you got MoBo's with better audio, or I am pickier than you. Are you happy with compressed audio? Do you rip to mp3 and are you satisfied with that? If so then I can say I am way pickier than you as compressed audio makes me cringe, and I hate mp3 unless I cannot have it any other way. Given the choice and the vast majority of my digital library, I rip flac format lossless always. Now game audio is compressed usually, but not always, but still sounds a bit better through the cards I have gotten. To each their own man. As I said though, to pinch pennies on audio after shelling out the money for a good CPU, GPU, and MoBo always struck me as weird.