Command & Conquer 4, and why its not worth buying

General discussion about MMORPGs, Neocron, SXR, or anything else you feel like blabbing about.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Official SynergyXR Forums! You will have to register to post and if you're new here, please read our Welcome Post and Forum Rules.
Solid Rock
3000+ Posts
Xfire ID: solid5rock
Steam ID: Taurmin
Xbox GamerTag: Taurmin
PlayStation Network ID: Taurmin
Neocron Characters: Solid Rock
Taurmin
Global Agenda Character: Taurmin
EVE Online Character: Solid Rock
Minecraft Username: Taurmin
WoW Armory: Thorgul
WoW Server: Bladefist
Operating System: Windows 7 Home
CPU: Intel Core I7 960 3.2 Mhz
Motherboard: Asus Sabretooth X58
Memory (RAM): 2x 2GB Kingston DDR3
Video Card: Club GeForce GTX 650 1gb GDDR5
Monitor: Acer X193W 19" 16x10
Secondary Monitor: ITS TS-7005L 17" 4x3
Keyboard: Logitech G15 Series 2
Mouse: Cyborg R.A.T. 9
Internet Connection: 50mb/5mb

Command & Conquer 4, and why its not worth buying

Post by Solid Rock »

I was rather positively surprised by CNC 3 when it came out, everyone had been up at arms about how EA was gunna ruin the franchise but the game was actually pretty good. The new game isn't.

Where Tiberium Wars had a well written campaign and some superb mood setting custscenes, Tiberian Twilight is a collection of guys standing around talking, a Kane whos suddenly decided to drop the messiah act in favour of impersonating a cardboard cut-out and a narrative that's so full of holes that its basically a colander. The missions themselves are easier than they've ever been and there only a fraction of the amount found in previous game.

So you would think that this is because they've decided to focus on gameplay and multiplayer, well no. Someone aparently decided to take a hacksaw to the game and everything is so minimalistic its hardly there. The entire base building system has been done away with, instead you choose 1 of 3 different classes of mcv at the start of the game from which you construct all of your units. Resource gathering has been removed in favour of a unit cap which sits at around 80 depending on your class with units costing 3-8 points each.

Gone are the days when you would send your glorious tank battalions to meet the enemy head on and crush him as well, instead matches are centered around the capture and defense of various points around the map. This of curse, because of the very limited unit cap, usually turns into a game of musical chairs with the enemy capturing you point as soon as you move your army away to capture his.

On top of all this the game implements a levelling system, this system requires you to play to gain experience in order to unlock more powerful units and upgrades. At first I thought this was merely an attempt to add a bit of spice to an otherwise stale campaign, not so. This system is in effect across the board, limiting you unit selection according to level in both skirmish and multi player as well. Those who have ever played an MMO can see where this is going. Yes ladies and gentlemen, EA have become the first to integrate high level ganking in an RTS. "Want to take down that huge behemoth of a walker unit eating through your army? Sorry, heavy weapons units are not unlocked until level 8. Try using these machine gunners." The entire game relies on a rock paper scissors counter system, this system fails utterly however as certain units have no counter in the lower level ranges.

This game is the last in the series to feature Kane, I bought it hoping to give my favourite video game villain the glorious send-off he deserves but instead I have been left with a feeling of bitter disappointment.
Pantho
3000+ Posts
Steam ID: sam86
WoW Server: Me+Fanyasy = Chosen
Operating System: Windows XP x86
CPU: Core2Duo 26400 2.8ghz
Motherboard: Intel DG395RY
Memory (RAM): 4GB 4x1GB Crucial XMS2 800mhz
Video Card: 8800GTS 640mb
Hard Drive: 300gb Sata2
Monitor: 19" Hanns-G
Secondary Monitor: 19" DMG
Keyboard: Logitech S510
Mouse: Logitech MX Revolution
Case: Some obsenly heavy thing - Cooler Master
Power Supply: 650W Modular Corsair
Internet Connection: 10MB Cable

Re: Command & Conquer 4, and why its not worth buying

Post by Pantho »

Solid Rock wrote:I was rather positively surprised by CNC 3 when it came out, everyone had been up at arms about how EA was gunna ruin the franchise but the game was actually pretty good. The new game isn't.

Where Tiberium Wars had a well written campaign and some superb mood setting custscenes, Tiberian Twilight is a collection of guys standing around talking, a Kane whos suddenly decided to drop the messiah act in favour of impersonating a cardboard cut-out and a narrative that's so full of holes that its basically a colander. The missions themselves are easier than they've ever been and there only a fraction of the amount found in previous game.

So you would think that this is because they've decided to focus on gameplay and multiplayer, well no. Someone aparently decided to take a hacksaw to the game and everything is so minimalistic its hardly there. The entire base building system has been done away with, instead you choose 1 of 3 different classes of mcv at the start of the game from which you construct all of your units. Resource gathering has been removed in favour of a unit cap which sits at around 80 depending on your class with units costing 3-8 points each.

Gone are the days when you would send your glorious tank battalions to meet the enemy head on and crush him as well, instead matches are centered around the capture and defense of various points around the map. This of curse, because of the very limited unit cap, usually turns into a game of musical chairs with the enemy capturing you point as soon as you move your army away to capture his.

On top of all this the game implements a levelling system, this system requires you to play to gain experience in order to unlock more powerful units and upgrades. At first I thought this was merely an attempt to add a bit of spice to an otherwise stale campaign, not so. This system is in effect across the board, limiting you unit selection according to level in both skirmish and multi player as well. Those who have ever played an MMO can see where this is going. Yes ladies and gentlemen, EA have become the first to integrate high level ganking in an RTS. "Want to take down that huge behemoth of a walker unit eating through your army? Sorry, heavy weapons units are not unlocked until level 8. Try using these machine gunners." The entire game relies on a rock paper scissors counter system, this system fails utterly however as certain units have no counter in the lower level ranges.

This game is the last in the series to feature Kane, I bought it hoping to give my favourite video game villain the glorious send-off he deserves but instead I have been left with a feeling of bitter disappointment.
Yep, since I finally have money kicking around I was looking forward to buy it and running allt he campaigns co-op with a friend..

Then I read all about the game last month, cried for a moment and forgot about it.
Solid Rock
3000+ Posts
Taurmin

Post by Solid Rock »

Pantho wrote:Yep, since I finally have money kicking around I was looking forward to buy it and running allt he campaigns co-op with a friend..

Then I read all about the game last month, cried for a moment and forgot about it.
Was looking forward to finally getting a conclusion on the Kane story, finally figuring out what the fuck he was and what exactly his grand plan was all about. Came to the end of the nod campaign and... nothing. It just sorta ends without tying up a single thing or answering any of the many questions. Essentially the game adds nothing to the franchises mythology, its like watching the ending of Tiberium Wars from a slightly different camera angle.

I wish id had you foresight and read up on it first really.
Comie
500+ Posts
Neocron Characters: Comie Hol
Hutch
EVE Online Character: Comie Dey
WoW Armory: Deychundei, Chomie
WoW Server: frostmane

Post by Comie »

yeah thats a shame, i was interested in seeing him ascend.

But as to who he is, well isnt hes Kane from the bible that killed his brother blah blah blah.
thats why hes a bajillion years old
Solid Rock
3000+ Posts
Taurmin

Post by Solid Rock »

Comie wrote:But as to who he is, well isnt hes Kane from the bible that killed his brother blah blah blah.
thats why hes a bajillion years old
Well there been hinting at that, but why does he so desperately want to leave earth then?
Comie
500+ Posts
Hutch

Post by Comie »

i dunno you tell me, you finished CnC4 :p
Solid Rock
3000+ Posts
Taurmin

Post by Solid Rock »

Comie wrote:i dunno you tell me, you finished CnC4 :p
Yup, the Nod campaign anyway. I might do the GDI one once the disappointment subsides a bit.
Comie
500+ Posts
Hutch

Post by Comie »

soooo. explain what happened
Solid Rock
3000+ Posts
Taurmin

Post by Solid Rock »

Comie wrote:soooo. explain what happened
Well nothing really. The player character gets shot, Kane mumbles something about how were all fragile and steps through a Scrin portal as it fades to black followed by a couple of news feeds about how hundreds of nod followers went into the Scrin tower and disappeared. Which is pretty much what was implied at the end of CNC 3 when you captured the Scrin tower in the first place.
Comie
500+ Posts
Hutch

Post by Comie »

wait but dont you get turned into a cyborg or some shit?
Solid Rock
3000+ Posts
Taurmin

Post by Solid Rock »

Comie wrote:wait but dont you get turned into a cyborg or some shit?
You get some kind of brain/ocular implant that allows you to activate the aforementioned portal for Kane. But the implantation happens before the game even starts and its a meaninglessly contrived plot device that could have bee replaced by a password and a couple of buttons for all the difference it makes.