This reminds me a bit of Tabula Rasa...

General discussion about MMORPGs, Neocron, SXR, or anything else you feel like blabbing about.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Official SynergyXR Forums! You will have to register to post and if you're new here, please read our Welcome Post and Forum Rules.
raykor
500+ Posts
Operating System: Windows 7 Pro x64
CPU: Core 2 Duo E8600 OC @ 3.9 GHz
Motherboard: Asus P5Q Deluxe
Memory (RAM): 8 GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800
Video Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 460 1GB
Hard Drive: 2 x Seagate 7200.11 500GB (Raid 1)
Monitor: Dell 2408WFP
Keyboard: Logitech G15
Mouse: Logitech G5
Case: Cooler Master Cosmos S
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W

This reminds me a bit of Tabula Rasa...

Post by raykor »

Be sure to watch this HD gameplay video in full screen!

I wonder how many more years until games look like this cinematic.

Red 5 Studios Announces Free-to-Play MMO Firefall
September 3, 2010

Irvine, CA-based Red 5 Studios has announced its long-awaited first title at the Penny Arcade Expo today -- a free to play team-based action shooter PC MMO called Firefall, slated for a 2011 release.

The title has been in production in various incarnations for a number of years, but looked as if it might not see the light of day when the developer laid off 30 employees early this year.

However, Chinese MMO publisher and developer The9 staged a timely intervention and helped Red 5 get back on track by acquiring the firm with an investment of approximately $20 million in March.

The game will be free-to-play and will utilize microtransactions to allow players to purchase extra items and build their characters. It is powered by a "highly modified version" of the Offset Engine, made by the now shuttered Project Offset team at chip maker Intel.

Tribes and Tribes 2 lead designer Scott Youngblood is on board as Firefall's lead designer, as the title "thrusts hundreds of players together into a lush, dynamic open world combining intense competitive multiplayer and large-scale cooperative gameplay."

The game will feature a free-to-play model that "allows players to experience every detail of the vibrant world without having to pay a single penny", while updates to the game, dynamic world events, and other content will also be offered without a price tag, and a marketplace will allow fans to purchase optional enhancements.

CEO and Chief Creative Officer Mark Kern, a former team lead for World of Warcraft, says the project is a result of wanting to do something radically different. "I wanted to take the best of what I learned making online games and bring that to skill-based shooters,"he says.
Vaeyn
750+ Posts

Re: This reminds me a bit of Tabula Rasa...

Post by Vaeyn »

Interesting genre blend. Shooter meets MMO meets RPG meets a bit of platformer (Tribes style). Looks a bit like Borderlands and Tabula Rasa got it on and made a babee game kinda sorta. Looks fun! Thanks for the link as I have no idea if I woulda stumbled on this otherwise and think it is worth a close watch. ;)